Chapter 20 The downhill ride

We walk through the shops together, the alpha often having to threaten and prise me away from store owners who were incredibly keen on promoting their products. I soon got the hang of shopping, and before you know it, alpha Jackson is carrying Cam's teddy bear, his new clothes, shoes, art things and kid's builders set. His disgruntled expression is one to keep forever. I skip to the next store, dragging the alpha away from an apparently very famous tools shop. After buying the children each something they would love, we settle on a bench facing the lucky fountain with a chocolate fudge ice cream, where alpha Jackson has become a source of amusement to the many passerby's. I guess they find a very large, masculine alpha male sitting next to an almost life-sized teddy bear rather funny. I would join in discreetly, trying to muffle my laughter as the alpha's cheeks blushes bright pink.
After another round of the shops, we finally call it quits and deposit the shopping into the boot.

I have never had such a blast in all my life!

We make it back to the pack house in the nick of time just after the kids have gone to bed. We quickly creep past the sleeping hallway into my bedroom, sighing in relief that we didn't meet any nosy kids in the process. Cam's birthday is in 3 days time, so I'll just have to hide his presents 'till then. After locking the closet securely, I turn to alpha Jackson who is patiently waiting for me, and I give him a hug around his waist. At first it is awkward with my face mashing itself against his toned chest, but as he interlocks his own arms around me, I finally relax and soften in his arms. It is so comfortable that I can fall right to sleep on his chest.

'Thank you for today' I mumble in his chest, his scent wafting inside and warming me.

'S'ok' He grumbles, his grip around me tightening.

We remain in this position until we both clear our throats awkwardly, taking a small step back from one another. I look up at him to see a blush highlighting his tanned skin, and I inwardly swoon at his cuteness. Wanting to see his reaction, I lean forward on my tiptoes to press my lips against his right cheek, but he turns his face at the wrong time and I find myself pecking him on the lips.

My eyes almost bulges out of their sockets and I stutter an apology to the alpha,

'I-I didn't mean to do that alpha,' and now it is my turn to have flaming cheeks, 'I'm so sorry'

He ignores me and after pulling me close, kisses my forehead gently.

'I'll see you tomorrow Evelyn.' He says, closing his way to the door.

'And call me Jackson please.' He adds as the door swings shut quietly.

I lean into the door, pressing my ears against the wood to hear his unique footsteps fade into the distance. I sag down onto the ground, my legs feeling like jelly. Alpha Jackson must think I'm so pushy! What if he has a girlfriend?

I can't believe that my first kiss was in truth an accident.

Sleep came to me harder than usual and I find myself revelling quietly to myself of that brief contact of my lips against the alpha's. They were so warm, so soft and so velvety. I think I'm in love with his lips. My dreams were a chaos of blurrs, there were bright lights and wonderful dancing and singing. Most importantly though, the alpha and I were kissing passionately in the midst of the pack. It was the best dream ever imaginable.

I wake up the next morning to the songs of the birds. Normally I would be irritated by their rowdy cheers, but today is no ordinary day and I find myself whistling in tune with their happiness. I should've known all along that it was too good to last.

The downhill ride starts with the arrival of Alpha Jackson's very female high school friend. Everyone but the alpha notices her obsessive behaviour around him and her needless flirting that is so clearly obvious that I'm considering telling Jackson to get an eye and ear check. Every five seconds she would lean into him and clutch his arm, telling him stories of their past together or laughing at the things that he says for no absolute reason. Serving her was even more of a hassle as she was one of the pickiest eaters alive. She doesn't want mayonnaise on her salad which the pack loves, so Elsa had to make a new batch with goat cheese which we didn't have in the pantry so Pete had to drive over to the supermarket just to buy it for her. It also turns out that she calls herself 'vegetarian', but still wants ripped chicken pieces in her salad. It was as if I have been transported to my old pack once again.

I'm used to meeting picky eaters in all of my past pack experiences, but she had put Elsa, Pete and the rest of the helpers in such a bad mood, that I had to plead with them to not chuck mashed potatoes at her or accidentally pour spaghetti sauce on her back which she had complained to be 'too salty' for her liking. Alpha Jackson attended to her every whims, even seasoning her salad for her at her request and opening her napkin for her. Something aches inside every time they come close, with Chantelle whispering in his ear multiple times. I resist the urge to smack her red blood nails away from my mate, purposefully placing the food in between them. Unable to stop these violent urges, I abandon my station out on the dining area and isolate myself into the kitchen for dishes duty. If I step once more into that room, I cannot assure that Chantelle's hands will stay attached to her arms.

'She's such a bloody nuisance!' Elsa huffs, storming into the room, having had to replace a knife that Chantelle had dropped by 'accident' as she leaned to grab Jackson's arm.

I turn around at the angry faces of every helper in the vicinity and I can't help but chuckle at their annoyance. No wonder no one from this pack is picky- Elsa an would probably skin them alive if they complain!

Taking a quick peek at Chantelle and Jackson, I clench my fists tightly and wonder to myself how an alpha that is so intelligent, who can conjure up intricate attack and defence plans in his sleep, manage to fail in noticing the blonde bimbo clutching onto his arm and batting her lashes at him.

'If she doesn't get her claws off our alpha, I will go over there and take them off myself!' Elsa hisses vehemently next to me, her small frame shaking in anger.
'She's staying for another week, so we'll just have to get used to it' I reason, prising my eyes off the two.
'Why isn't she waiting for her own mate?' Pete asks quietly.
'Her mate chose another woman before her and already had kids before she came along. He was much older than her and wouldn't abandon his family, so she left and now here we are.' Another woman pipes up in a whisper.

The three of us watch the scene in front of us with new eyes. Although I hate watching her grope my mate, I can't help but feel sorry for her having to go through such troubles.
It soon forgotten as something clatters onto the ground and Chantelle found this to be the perfect opportunity to bend over and emphasise her cleavage in direct view of Jackson.

That's it. I'm coming in.