Chapter 7 An Accident

Chapter 7 An accident

'Are you alright?' A voice asks me, and a calloused hand grips lightly onto my forearm.

'I'm fine thanks Colton' I say, avoiding his gaze and continuing my work. I finally finish packing up and I lift up the dirty table cloth, intending to give it a wash later. I try to move on to the next table, but Colton's hands tightens further, and he leans down trying to catch my gaze. I blink faster, trying to get rid of the tears before finally looking up into his eyes.
His gaze softens considerably as he looks to my tear streaked face and he helps me wipe the undersides of my eyes. His thumbs caress my cheeks gently, in a wiping motion and I try to move my head away but his palms wouldn't let me as he continues his soft motions. No doctor has ever done this to me, and even when my body had hurt, they only looked sorry, but without this strange worry that Colton has in his slightly furrowing brows. Beyond this however, I can clearly see the humorous look on his face- in his twitching lips, his lighting eyes and the crinkles next to them. I frown at him and he mock frowns at me, whispering,

'You don't cry when the alpha had hit the door in your face and yet you cry over a pup?'

'Nobody has ever told me they loved me before doctor.' I say in a whisper.
He looks at me with an impenetrable expression on his features.

'I think I l-' He starts, but a gruff voice interrupts,

'Enough!' Alpha Jackson growls, 'You best be returning to your duties, Miss Evelyn, and Colton.'

I pale and untangle myself from Colton's hands with shaky motions, my head lowering,

'Sorry Alpha.' I say, my voice brittle even in my own ears. I wheel the trolley on to the next table and continue the same process, giving the table an extra wipe down as I accidentally spill some juice in my haste.

'Here, let me help' Colton says, trying to grab the cloth from me, and I give him a reprimanding look, grabbing him by his hand and leading him back to where the other adult wolves still situate.

'Absolutely not!' I say, pulling out his chair for him and walloping some more food onto his plate.

'Finish your food first, and after, you can drink your milkshake' I call out as I go back into the kitchen to unload the trolley. Sure- I'm afraid of Alphas- but my duties will always come before my fear.

I lay out the infinite amounts of dishes on the counter and I walk back out with Colton's favourite milkshake- chocolate chip mango flavour with vanilla ice cream. I always make him this when he bandages me and such as it helps him 'concentrate' during work. I give him his large cold thermos and proceed to also pour some out to the other pack members. By the time I finish pouring, the alpha and warriors have gone out to start their harsh training in the summer heat. Muffled groans and shouts could be heard and if I didn't know better, it would seem as though they were brutally murdering each other. The first time they had a training session, I ran out in panic thinking that someone was being horribly hurt, but I came short and my face turned beet red as the sun glistened upon their sweaty bare chests, all of them having stopped and stared at me. Nobody was hurt. There wasn't even blood!

I finish the tables and help some of the pregnant she wolves by diminishing their slightly strange cravings. Yesterday it was seaweed rice crackers with peanut butter and jelly, but today it is strawberries and cream cheese. Colton hovers around me, occasionally asking the soon to be mothers the occasional question every now and then, as well as giving them advice and reminding them to drink lots of water. By the time they waddle away, all the seats are no longer occupied and I set about sweeping the wooden floors and mopping them.

But then a loud thud rings out from the opposite entrance to the backyard and I stumble away from my work, slipping slightly and grabbing the table as I forcibly jerk my body forwards defying gravity as it tried to land me on my butt. Once stable, I approach the person that is slipping all over the place and grunting out obscene comments in a most impolite manner.

'I'm so sorry Alpha Jackson!' I fluster, approaching him quickly and losing my balance in the process. I fling my arms in a windmill movement, but to no avail, I fall forwards. Muscular arms grabs me around the waist, but the force of my windmill arms propels us forward and I fall atop the Alpha in a very ungraceful conduct.

My face, as I can imagine is burning up, as though someone has set me aflame from the inside. His musky scent of sweat and earth infiltrates my mind and my hands are glued to his hard glistening pecs. I try to get up, putting even more pressure on his chest my embarrassment heightening to new horizons. I finally clamber onto my knees and attempt to help Alpha Jackson up, my hands taking his in mine and fruitlessly tugging.