Chapter 3 Safe

Chapter 3 Safe

Pic of Colton :D

Fire dances across my face as Colton teasingly puckers his mouth and closes his eyes only a few inches away from me. I wonder how he had gotten so close, as the little girls' giggles fills the room and the boys all groan as they all cover their eyes or with some of them, hide under the bed.

I shake my head ruefully but couldn't help but to smile widely. Sure- I am confused with his blatant teasing, but hey it's all fun and games isn't it?
Colton's eyes finally opens and his lips move to a downward tilt on the corners as he procures his very own puppy dog eyes straight at me. I melt, as his ocean eyes brims with the sea, his blue eyes pleading.
'May I get a kissy too Miss Evelyn?' Colton asks.
I shook my head, trying to clear the clouds inside. I am clearly losing my mind as I find myself closing those few inches to his lips.
But instead of kissing him like all the held breaths around me were waiting for, I lightly hit Colton on his arm as we got up close and personal with each others' eyes. I usually am wary when it comes to males and their attention, but Colton just makes me feel so at home. The rest of the kids grimace and grumble at our apparently blatant flirting as Ellie tells me later. Although of course, the girls were grumbling at my refusal to kiss the Doctor, and not for my 'flirting'. I guess all kids love fairytales.

Due to the unsuccessful kiss, the kids all returns back to their initial worry for my well-being. Rose, one of the youngest at 3 and a half years of age asks me quietly,

'Miss Evey, how did you walk into a door?'

I cradle her in my arms and she took advantage of it, burrowing her little head into the crook of my arm.

'Nobody braided my hair Evey.' Rose pouted, staring back up at me with her golden eyes.

'I promise that I'll braid your hair tomorrow ok? If you come early to breakfast and eat your carrots, I'll do your favourite braid, how's that?' I ask her, smoothing her hair.

'Yay! I promise to eat my carrots and even my broccoli Evey!' Rose squeals as she hugs me quickly and hops off the bed twirling around the room. Colton smiled at me from his post across the room, and he outright laughed, his eyes twinkling brightly.

Or maybe it's just a trick of the light.

---------••••••---------••••••---------

After the last of the kids were ushered out personally by the doctor, I finally relax onto the pillows, my back and head still aching from the strain. Colton rushes back to my side as he sees me sighing onto the soft pillows and he helps me to sit back up. I look up at him in confusion- why is he stopping me from resting?

'I still haven't given you a full checkup yet Miss Evelyn.' He said to me wiggling his brows, but his eyes remained serious even through his playfulness. I clear my throat and sit up more properly against the headboard of the bed,
'Do your worst doctor.' I say to him.
He stands next to me and probes my head with gentle hands, softly poking and caressing my head. It would have been more uncomfortably weird had it not been so comforting. No man has ever touched me as gently as Colton has right at this moment and I find myself softly nodding off to the abyss. Feeling safe after a very long time.

---------••••••---------••••••---------

It was dark when I awoke, my inner alarm clock already having been installed in my early teens. I have learned my lesson of not waking up before the alpha a long time ago, and yesterday was the only exception. I was more than surprised that alpha Donovan had not beaten me and had given me rest time, but I guess he did knock me unconscious from the door. I startle when I feel a small figure cuddle close to me for warmth under the blankets, small arms hugs me around the stomach and a hard round head snuggles in the crook of my arm. I look down, and relax when I see that it is only Cameron, a young pup, and due to not having shifted yet, he is the youngest out of all the children. I share the most of my affections with him because he was parentless, his mother and father died not long ago and I was the only one he had. He often has nightmares, and it is me that he would always run to when he cries for his parents. I rub his back affectionately and Cam buries himself even closer to me as I hug him close, kissing his forehead.
A voice rang out over the silence and I stiffen,

'He wouldn't stop knocking on the door, I didn't know what to do but to let him inside. I'm sorry if he woke you up,' Colton said apologetically from across the room.
I could barely see his face as I turned to face him, jostling Cam a little in the movement.

'That's alright Doctor, he always comes when he has a nightmare.' I quietly said, not wanting to wake Cam up from his slumber. I try to untangle him, but his arms tightened even more around my waist, and I call out to the doctor for help,

'Doctor, can you please help me?'
'Doctor D you mean?' he asks me jokingly, but striding closer anyway in his pajamas.

I could not help but chuckle at his adorable socks that I had helped Ellie choose for his birthday. Ellie had always had a crush on the doctor, and she wanted to buy him something special. So of course I had to help her pick the princess pink socks just for him.

He crept noiselessly towards the bed and helped to hold Cam as I untangled myself from his tight grip. I took him from Colton and layed him back on the bed, lifting the blankets up under his chin and leaving him with a parting kiss on the forehead. I started to take off the bandages wrapped around my head, and a warm hand tried to stop me. I protest silently as I try to continue, but strong hands grips my hands away from my head.

'Doctor, the children are going to worry if I still have the bandages. I don't want them to worry anymore than they have to!' I whisper my disagreement, and sure enough, the warm hands let go of me.

'Thank you for your hospitality Doctor.' I said to him, going on my tiptoes to kiss him on the cheek. I would never have done it if it was in the daylight, and my human eyes strains to see his silhouette in the dark. I blush deep red, and Colton chuckles, his werewolf eyes able to see in the dark.

Whoops. I should've thought about that.