Chapter 10 Cleaning his office

Recap:

I blow him a kiss as he runs off and he peeks at the other children to see if they are looking, before accepting it with his little hands and placing it right into his heart. He blows me his own kiss and runs off to join the others.

What would I do without him?

Thanks for sticking with the story! It's my first one so :D THANK YOUUU

Chapter 10 Cleaning his office

After the new bout of dishes are finished, I go off to upstairs to finish the rest of my duties. My work here besides cooking practically24-7 is to clean the Alpha's office and the sweeping and mopping of the top most floor. It is far easier here I must say, and the pack members go out of their way to help out.

After grabbing all the equipment, I approach the Alpha's office with cautious steps. It is far more nerve wracking to clean with the Alpha's eyes on me I must say, and I'd rather he wasn't there when I attempt to dust and clean his living space. Previous alphas were always cruel and were always present whilst I was there, even going out of their way to spill drinks or knock over their papers and having me to clean the mess.

I gently knock on the wooden door, hoping with all my might that he is still training or playing with the children perhaps. I can't even use my wolf senses anymore as she is far too weak to even be felt and reached.

I wait a few seconds for the dreaded gruff 'Enter' to sound, but all I hear is my own roughly beating heart and the usual ruckus from the downstairs floor. I finally urge myself to open the door, stepping inside to the clean musk of the Alpha's aftershave and the blazing sunlight streaming through the slightly tinted glass. The threshold no longer threatening, I close the door behind me and proceed to wipe down the cabinets. There were past awards upon the shelves and books. Lots and lots of books. It's like his own personal library in here. My hands upon it's own accord makes their way across the books, Running my fingers through the spines, I notice that there are no dust that typically coats everything. Either the Alpha had a really good cleaner before me, or he really loves reading books.

Who knows.

Returning my gaze upon his awards, I am surprised at the large number of academic rewards that he has received aside from his sporting, but my gaze can't seem to stray from a graduation photo of him hugging a blonde beauty in their graduation gowns.

Something hard tugs at my heart, and my left palm throbs with pain. I am reminded of what my momma used to tell me before; Vena Amoris. It is this belief that our hearts are directly connected to our left hand's fourth finger.

It's only now that I finally understand what she was saying.

I try to rid of my sadness and jealousy away with thoughts of Cam. His laughter and smiles. His love.

That's more than I deserve.

Besides the picture of them at graduation, thankfully the room remained free of any others and so I was able to clean the rest of the room without any problems. At least without my heart tearing up again.

I close his door quietly, finishing as quick as I could so that maybe I can skip meeting with the Alpha. But with no such luck, as I turn back round, I am flush against his chest with my back against the tightly closed door.

'E-excuse me alpha' I stutter, trying to politely push him away from me.

His surprised face morphs into amusement, his signature smirk now back upon his face as he studies me again.

'You just can't resist me can you?' He asks jokingly

'No, actually, I just cleaned your office alpha' I huff, crossing my arms in annoyance.

The teasing glint fades from his eyes as he says, 'Thank you for all that you've done for the pack'

I blink quickly, unable to believe what I am hearing and seeing as I am unable to stop staring at the sincerity within his eyes.

'I haven't done much Alpha' I say, fidgeting with the loose strands of my shirt.

'I woudn't call what you do nothing' He says, his eyes smoldering me with their heat.

'I would call it everything' He says as he comes in close so that we are almost a breath away.

He moves away from me and grasps my hands in his, engulfing me in its heat and I feel safe once more, just like I had in Colton's arms.

'So thank you.' He says, lifting my hands to his lips and gently kissing them with respect, leaving a fiery path to where his lips had touched me.

I did not say a word to him. Nor could I even if I had wanted to. My brain has gone to mush, my body on fire and my head in the clouds. What I really want to do however, is to launch myself in his arms and kiss his life out of him.

But I know I can never be brave enough to do that.

I pull my hands away from his, unable to meet his gaze and my thoughts trails back to the picture of him and the blonde beauty. I find myself looking away from him, unable to meet him in the eye.

Looking at him again just brings back the picture that is now branded into my memory. They were happy together and I have no right to come in between someone's happiness. Even at the sake of my own.

I am just the maid.

'It's alright alpha' I say, tucking a loose lock of hair behind my ear and walking past him with a small nod of respect.

But I turn back around as I remember what I have always wanted to say to him after a week of my arrival here; 'Thank you for giving me people to care for.' I say, smiling up at him with my thanks. If it had not been him to accept me as the pack's maid, I would probably have been beaten to death by now, and not have met Cam and received love.

I will always be indebted to him.