Chapter 26

Chapter 26

'I thought you hate the attention' I say accusingly.
'Not when I'm with you' He says seriously, tapping my butt lightly with his calloused hand.
I squeal in shock and hit him gently on the chest.
'Was that meant to hurt?' He asks, amusement in his tone.
I simply huff as he leads us away from the pack, finding dignity in my silence.

Inside the alpha's office, he finally drops me to the ground, dumping me gently upon a couch facing the windows. It feels weird simply sitting here because all the other times were spent cleaning the room. I spare a glance out the window and find myself blushing red when I see many nosy pack members looking into the office window. I frown at them and they pretend to look away, some raking the non existent fallen leaves or tying their tied shoelaces. Some even had the audacity to run away as though I had not just seen them peeking in seconds ago. Looking back to the alpha, I find him sitting upon his mighty throne, sighing restlessly at the massive blocks of paperwork on his mahogany desk. I couldn't resist thinking how handsome he looks, with his sleeves rolled up, muscled arms straining against the fabric. What I wouldn't wish to be his shirt.

Where did that thought come from! I scold myself internally, forcing myself to look away and back out the window. Once again I catch the pack members looking interestedly into the office, some having climbed trees to be on the same level. Quickly standing up, I draw the curtains, unable to tolerate their rude and yet funny behaviour. Looking back at the alpha who is now searching for something inside the cabinet behind his desk, I can't help but marvel at the strength and somewhat manly gracefulness that he seems to possess. All thoughts of this flies away as he bends over to look deeper into the furniture, his butt sticking out. What a fine butt.
Turning red, I flail my arms upon the armrests, using the momentum to stand up and escape the stifling hot office.

'I-I've got to go' I say pathetically, stuttering at my embarrassment. My hand is upon the door knob, but I do not dare to twist it open before the alpha's permission to leave.
Jackson rears back quickly, slamming his head on the shelf of the cabinet in the process. Swearing under his breath, he lifts an arm up to press against the bruise and turns to face me. Running to the bathroom, I wet with cold water a cloth that I keep with me at all times for the young ones, and return to put it on his bump. Forcing him to sit, I massage the lump with the cloth as I apologise for surprising him. Pushing his hair back to examine the bruise, I silently marvel at the softness of his hair, stroking the strands absentmindedly.

Jackson clears his throat awkwardly and I jump, releasing my hands from him in an instant.
'So-sorry' I say embarrassedly, placing the cloth into his hand and preparing my escape.
Except I'm not sorry at all.

Jackson's hands envelop mine in his and I tremble. Somehow, holding hands with him seem to raise my heart beats just that much faster, my cheeks flushing brighter and the butterflies in my stomach to fly happily. Despite having a basically non-existent connection between our wolves, I am still deeply and truly drawn to him like what is it called? A moth to a flame that's right. I never liked moths, but as far as that expression goes, I am drawn to Jackson as an unseeable force drags me closer and closer to him, disregarding the thought that in the end, we can never be together.

Saddened with the thought, I let go of his hand and force myself to turn away even as my insides seem to sag in a heap.
Closing the distance towards the door, I reach an arm out towards the handle, hoping to escape before my heart forces me back to Jackson. But just as I open the door, a groan of pain fills my ears. Whirling back around, I rush back to the alpha in panic, my heart beats jumping erratically. Kneeling down in front of him, I take his face in my hands and search him to find where the pain is emanating from, checking his head extra carefully. I search his eyes and he looks down at his stomach, dragging his shirt upwards to reveal his lean abs. Blushing, I look down, trying to avoid looking towards his stomach, but instead making it look as though I am ogling his private area. Stammering an apology, I stumble backwards away from him with my face aflame.

I do not dare look up. Of course not until the alpha bursts into laughter.

Whipping my head up fast, my eyes widen at the sight before me, annoyance bubbling inside, although of course I can't help but note how cute and carefree Jackson looks as he tears up with laughter right before me.
Pouting at him, I worst my arms tightly together and give him my best 'not-impressed' look, shaking my head at his childish and yet endearing antics. He simply howls with laughter and my face burns with embarrassment.
With annoyance finally boiling over the pot, I glare at him and whack him on the arm, unable to believe how much pleasure he has over my embarrassment.

'If you keep laughing no more cookies and milk for the rest of the week!' I threaten.
Jackson comes to a choking halt, his laughter morphing to disbelief.
'You wouldn't!' He bursts out, clearly panicking.
Shaking my head, I keep my not impressed gaze on and keep my arms tightly crossed. I mean business.

'I stopped now, so I still get them right?' He asks quickly.
'We'll have to see' I say with mischief, winking at him and finally walking out the door.
'Wait! Evelyn!' He cries out, panicking.
But I simply ignore him and walk into the corridor, still remembering the naughty glint in his eye when I was so concerned about his supposed 'pain.'

He definitely needs to be taught a lesson. And I'm going to give it to him.