Chapter 11 Nancy

But I turn back around as I remember what I have always wanted to say to him after a week of my arrival here; 'Thank you for giving me people to care for.' I say, smiling up at him with my thanks. If it had not been him to accept me as the pack's maid, I would probably have been beaten to death by now, and not have met Cam and received love.

I will always be indebted to him.

Chapter 11 Nancy

I leave quickly, my legs acting on auto, but not before a strong hand engulfs my arm in its heat.

'It's a pleasure Evelyn' He says huskily, his eyes full of sincerity.

I give him a warm smile, thanking him again and excusing myself.

He resists me leaving and tugs me back to himself.

He looks as confused as I am

'I- I'm sorry I don't know what came over me, I just didn't like seeing you walk away from me.' He says with a cute disgruntled look. He reminds me of the children when they don't get what they want, and certainly not of the arrogant and scary alpha.

I resist myself from laughing, and he pouts at me with his bottom lip jutting out.

'Are you laughing at me Miss Evelyn?' His face darkens with mischievous intent, his eyes full of humour.

'No- of course not Alpha' I say, biting my lip so as to not let my laughter escape me.

'I need to go Alpha, or do you want everyone to go hungry?'

' No no! You go ahead, I'll walk you to the kitchen' He says panicked, obviously worrying about his empty stomach.

'I can walk to the kitchen myself alpha, I'm sure you have other duties to attend to.' I say, looking pointedly at the closed door of his office.

He shakes his head and leads the way with an arm around my waist and striding towards the exit.

'I just don't want you to get sidetracked talking with Colton. He can be very charming when he wants something' He says with a frown etched upon handsome features.

As he can be also. His smirk, his smile, his touch. Even his scent brings me to a frenzy.

But he can never know I am his mate. He deserves better.

' Ladies first ' He says as he flourishes the door open. I look toward him with confusion, as in my old packs, Alphas always walk through the door first. However my thoughts were cut as the pack stares at him with a mixture of surprise and amusement.

' Who's this Jacky? ' A dark chestnut haired female asks him. She puts an arm around me and leads me away from him chatting mercilessly into my ear. I glance back towards him with a pleading look, unable to believe that he will just abandon me like this.

We finally reach the kitchen and she bombards me with after questions.

How long have I been here, which pack did I cone from, how do I do my hair like that, and while I'm at it, do I like her brother?

I tell her that I've been here for just barely the month, I came from the Lotus pack, probably 100 kilometres away from here and that my hairdo is just basically a plait pinned to my head.

'So do you like him?' She asks impatiently, her smile twisting to a grimace as she remembered something unpleasant.

'He just went over a rough patch not too long ago,' she starts, 'It's probably the first time since then that I've seen him smiling like that.'

'You must be special' She says to me, her eyes penetrating mine and trying to dig deeper into my very soul it seems.

'I'm just the maid, and I respect your brother, but I'm not pursuing him if that's what you are asking.' I reply, my hand knotting itself anxiously. I do not want to come across as someone trying to get into the alpha's pants just to bring my ranks up. There are plenty of she-wolves like those out there, and I will not be one of them.

'You may not be pursuing him, but what about he to you?' She asks, 'What will you do then?'

'I-I doubt that will ever happen, he- I'm just the maid, and he deserves better.' I say, 'He deserves someone that will be his equal, someone that are not scared of other alphas and will stand her ground against them.'

My chest hurts as I finish, and I turn around to get all the equipment out, pots and pans rattling in the process. I close my eyes briefly, trying to get rid of thoughts of never being good enough, of failing my own mate.

Skinny arms envelop me from the side, 'But you can learn all that in due time Evelyn. You can learn that all alphas are just bark with no bite because my brother will always protect what's his with everything he has.

'I don't think he likes me like that Nancy' I say, gently untangling her arms.

'I think he does Evelyn' She says with a knowing grin.

'You are worthy of my brother Evelyn. Someone wise once said, "Our stresses, anxieties, pains, and problems arise because we do not see the world, others, or even ourselves as worthy of love." you are worthy of my brother's love Evelyn. Don't you ever think otherwise.'

My eyes glisten with unshed tears, and my heart clenches with hope. Maybe I can be worthy of him. Maybe I can accept his love as he can accept mine.

Nancy smiles brilliantly at me, her perfect smile blinding me with their warmth as she hugs me with all her might.

'Just think about it Evelyn, and don't stress. He hasn't been this happy since my father gave him a wood-kit on his wolf day. I hope that you can bring each other more happiness,'

'Now, onto the cooking! What would you like help with?'

Nancy is an excellent cook, although she is quite prone to accidents such as the spilt milk on the counter, the cluttered spoons and utensils upon the floor. She is making my kitchen into a havoc! I shoo her out, telling her to relax and that I've got this handled along with the other volunteers. She ended up banished outside with a glass of mango smoothie, along with the kids who promised to look after her.

'You can even cook! You're absolutely perfect' She says dreamily, probably imagining boxes of cookies and cakes being delivered to her door.