Chapter 34

Chapter 34

The fact that Jackson told Colton to stay away from me, theoretically should make me happy, cherished even as it shows his possessiveness over me. However it was the fact that throughout all of my sadness in Colton's avoidance of me, Jackson remained nonplussed and pretended not to know a thing. Thinking about it now just makes me even more angry, and even as I attempt to swallow up the rage building up inside of me, I find it almost impossible to calm down. Last night's baking spree clearly did not do much good, as I now try to reign in the anger positively steaming out of my ears. That alpha needs to be taught a lesson!

The next morning, I wake up feeling much better and more like my old self. With all of my worries of Colton hating me gone, I'm practically back to normal, and am certainly ready to kick some alpha butt. Sure, I'm still sad that Cam has less time for me, but it helped that many mothers also felt the same and we bonded over our loneliness.

Elsa and Pete whisper loudly as I enter the kitchen, not even attempting to keep themselves quiet.
'Why does she look so happy.'
'It's creeping me out.'
'Yeah right, look at that cheeky smile she has.'
My smile simply broadens and I ignore their friendly jabs at me as I start slicing some fruit to eat. As the normality of Tuesday mornings, it is fruit salad and yoghurt for breakfast with a glass of strawberry smoothie to top it off. Pete normally makes the smoothie, whilst Elsa and I take care of the rest. This time however, the both of them are frozen in their work stations, staring at me contemplatively with their mouths slightly agape. Still ignoring them and whistling under my breath, I rapidly slice the fruits and get our bowls out. No matter the circumstance, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

'Do you think she's pregnant?' Pete asks out of the blue.

The knife I hold clatters on the ground, and I turn to look at him in shock. At this exact moment, the kitchen door swings open and grandma Beth comes in looking entirely too happy at the situation.
'You're pregnant Evelyn?! I HAVE A GRANDCHILD!!' She shouts out, waving her walking stick high in the air.
'Beth, I don't-' I shout whisper at her, tugging her arm and pulling her into the kitchen so that she doesn't alert all of the pack with false information. Within moments, many bleary eyed pack members come into the dining area, staggering and clumsily walking like zombies as they try to fully wake up.
'Evelyn's pregnant?!' Some of them mutter excitedly, and even a couple of the ladies come to pull me into a motherly hug, rubbing my stomach all the while I am too shell shocked to react fully. I let them pull me gently into their groups with a weird need to cry as it finally occurs to me that they care. Blinking tears, I look down at the ground with embarrassment, wiping my eyes subtly with the ends of my sleeves.
'It must be the hormones.' Beth says loudly, looking proudly towards me.

Suddenly it all becomes too much for me to handle. I can't handle the look of disappointment that will resound in their faces when they figure that I'm not pregnant, and I decide to put an end to this outrageous gossip that had escalated so quickly. Before I open my mouth however, the dining room door bursts open again to reveal a very frantic alpha who seemingly wants to know who is causing all the commotion.
'Isn't it so exciting Jackson!? Your little mate is pregnant!!" Beth shrieks, dropping the bombshell.
The look on Jackson's face is priceless as he gapes with wide eyes, looking slightly sad towards my direction. We have never consummated our relationship, nor do I want to until we are fully mated- which I had made incredibly clear to Jackson when we started to get more involved. His shoulders droops and he hangs his face low. Inside, I feel sad that he doesn't trust me to be faithful to him, but with the strong convictions of his grandma and pack members, I don't blame him too much for his misunderstanding. I fight through the crowd to get to him, so that when I finally reach him, I lift up his face with both hands, cupping his cheeks lightly. His eyes are slightly red from what looks like unshed tears, and the corner of his mouth drooping. He looks like the epitome of a sad puppy.

Unable to help myself, I leap into his arms, burrowing my face in his chest and mumbling that I'm not pregnant. All of my anger towards him gone, I simply hug him tight against me, relishing in his masculine scent and strong arms.
'I would never betray you like that.' I say to him, looking him in the eyes.
'I'm sorry for doubting you.' He says, pulling me even closer and kissing me with heat.

We break apart to the sound of cleared throats, and as I turn around to face the expectant pack members, I can't help but beam out. Yes, they still think I'm pregnant, but it is through this that I can feel their care for me, and for now, that is enough.

With a strange glint in their eyes and smiles so big that it is slightly manic, they form a tight circle around us, closing in as though we're prey. I nudge Jackson discreetly with my elbow, my smile straining as I prepare for their disappointment.

'We're not pregnant.' Jackson bursts out loudly.
'We know- she is.' A cheeky pack member calls out.
'You can smell for the baby if you want, but we haven't done it yet.' Jackson says with a raging blush on his face spreading like wildfire down his neck.

There is a pause as the pack stares silently at the both of us with disbelief. Then the muttering starts.
'I can't believe they haven't done it yet.'
'No wonder the Luna was so moody the past weeks.'
'The alpha must have amazing self control.'

'ENOUGH!' Jackson bellows, the alpha command silencing even the birds outside.
'I don't know where these ideas came from, but when I find the person who initiated this whole ordeal, they will be subjected to morning runs with me,' the pack gasps 'for two weeks' the pack shudders.
'Now I want you all to stay out of the way while your Luna and the kitchen helpers make your breakfast.' The pack quickly scurries off, too scared to endure morning runs with their alpha.
As they all deserted to their respective places, I thank Jackson with a kiss, in which a wolf whistle rings out, and with a quick glare, the perpetrator positively runs away out the door.

Shaking his head, Jackson looks at me with a relieved smile on his face.
'I'm sorry for that. I'll make it up to you I promise.' He says quietly, tucking a loose lock of hair behind my ear.
I widen my eyes up at him so that my eyes water with what looks like unshed tears.

'Evelyn, what's wrong!' He asks,
'Was it something I said?'
'I'm sorry for not trusting you! I- just the pack was so convincing- and I just lost it for a minute there'
'Evelyn? Talk to me please.' He says pleadingly, his arms circling around my waist. In my periphery, I can see some pack members staying behind to watch the action.

'I love you with everything I am Evelyn, please forgive me.' Jackson begs, his large palms on my hips shaking in his nervousness.