Chapter 21 Back to the Past

The three of us watch the scene in front of us with new eyes. Although I hate watching her grope my mate, I can't help but feel sorry for her having to go through such troubles.
It is soon forgotten as something clatters onto the ground, with Chantelle finding this to be the perfect opportunity to bend over and emphasise her cleavage in direct view of Jackson.

That's it. I'm coming in.

Rolling up the hems of my sleeves slightly, I grab a tray with large bowls of spaghetti and stride forward carefully into the dining area. I can't let it fall now. Not yet anyhow.
I carefully manoeuvre myself around the other helpers returning back with empty trays and I greet the children normally- as though this was any ordinary day. The children smile and greet me with their usual cheerfulness, whilst also trying to subtly coerce me to supply them with more Nutella and cocoa puffs. Which is not so subtle at all as the kids shake the empty box in my line of vision with puppy dog eyes and lick the tub of Nutella clean. I stifle my laughter as the kids fight as to who will sneak in to the kitchen, with Cam as the main protagonist as the children point out that he can get away with anything from me. It was as though I wasn't even standing there, listening in to their battle plans.
Cam stands up to the loud cheers of the rest of the children and starts attempting to crawl under the table. To which I grab him by the collar of his shirt and pull him back out to the falling faces of the rest of the kids.

'How about we negotiate?' I say quietly, sneaking a glance at Chantelle's non stop inappropriate act to my mate.
'I'm up for it' Cam says, his eyes sparkling with mischief. Looking knowingly at my line of vision.
This kid's smart.
He holds his hand out to me and I shake it quickly to the deafening whispers of the children who are in no doubt gossiping loudly of our exchange.
After quick planning for our 'attack', we get into position with Cam going out the back door from the kitchen to the back yard where he will run in and hope all goes to plan.

The high ranking wolves all sit on the furtherest corner of the room where they can have the best view of the surroundings outside. The Warriors also share their table, with the alpha at the head of the table and his family members on the left side and the beta and her family on his right. It is all very traditional, except for the guest of honour whom had stolen the Beta's seat. I could see the Beta's eyes flash steely gold from all the way in the kitchen as I had peeked into the dining area. Squaring my shoulders, I finally set my plan into action, feeling a weight on my shoulders because if this does not go well, Cam will also be in trouble.

I beeline my way towards the table, my tray slightly wobbling for having held it for so long. Five feet away.. four feet away.. three feet away.. two feet away.. BAM!
Cam collides into me from my left, knocking the tray of spaghetti from my shaky hands and into the bosom of none other than Chantelle.
A shriek so loud and piercing causes all the wolves within the vicinity to cover their ears reflexively, some wincing or growling at the cause of their hurting eardrums. My hands are shaking badly now as I see the consequence of our plans in front of me. Pulling out the napkins handily stored in the front of my apron, I press them to Chantelle, who is glaring daggers at me.

'Don't touch me you stupid bitch!' She shouts at me, looking just a little bit comical with red spaghetti sauce splattered all over her front and meticulous hair.
'I-I'm s-sorry!' I stutter, my shoulders sagging at the entourage of insults she throws at me. I didn't mean for it to go this far as I try to pull the strands of spaghetti off her hair.
'Where did you even get her from? The local pound?' She shrieks, continuing to throw insults at me and my eyes prickle with tears. I shouldn't have done this.
But the alpha suddenly slams his fist on the table, growling at his guest with his enticingly fiery eyes. He grabs her by the wrist and pulls her into the corridor, muttering in a low voice something that made her clamp her mouth shut in an instant. The damage is done though as her words take me back once more to the places which I had vowed myself never to think about again because each time it brings me so much pain. I am reminded of the times where I couldn't serve food in the dining room without being tripped by members of the pack or food and insults being thrown at me.

It wasn't for completely unreasonable reasons; my father the alpha had given up hope of finding his mate and took mum for his. They did love each other, or so they thought, but father isn't the kindest person and he ruled his pack with blind rage and anger as he had been taught from his father. Mum was the balm to this, and up to my teens, the pack was at their best- there were less fights, less violence, and the pack was much happier. But then on a trip to my local art exhibition, my mother found her mate. Upon seeing this, father became angry and locked mother up as though she was just another prisoner. Having known what it's like to have a mate, mum realised that what she had with dad isn't love, it's loving the idea of love. She took me with her to escape, but on the way, father captured me whilst mother escaped to be with her mate. I stopped my father from taking my mother back and to this day, the pack still blames me, because from then on, my father ruled the pack with menace and hate, because the love that the pack showed to one another was the thing that reminded him most of mum. I was beaten and tortured by those I considered family, and I am ever so grateful for being here now with people that are much kinder than those in my old pack.

But something- or rather someone- shakes me back to the present with small chubby arms.
'Evey? Evey?!' Cam asks me, his eyes filling with tears.