Chapter 2 All that cheekiness

'W-w-what??' I squeak out in embarrassment at his knowing look. I did not even know what I said wrong!?

'Darling, you are so innocent!' Doctor D chuckles, his eyes crinkling again at the corners.

I fidget with the blankets, smoothing the creases, as I tried to ignore his wandering gaze. He clears his throat suddenly, and I looked up, full of expectation.

'Ms Evelyn, may I ask you what your place is?' He asked me, his forehead crinkling with confusion.

'I- I'm just the maid Doctor.' I looked down, my fingers tightly clenching the sheets. Many people treated me with respect in this pack, but there are still some who looked down with contempt, and at my old pack, I was often beaten and not given enough food. I'm sure that the doctor would never do that, but I do not want to lose our close-to friendship relationship.

'Ah! So you're the beautiful help that I've heard so many patients talk about! Your cooking is absolutely marvelous and often, the rogues that come by pretend to be ill again- just so they could stay here and eat your food!' He exclaims, but on a quieter note, he told me,

'Being the maid is nothing to be ashamed of. Your strength is what admires me; your willingness to help others and cook them delicious meals, and even after they abuse and look down on you. If it wasn't for your innocence, I would claim you right now.' his eyes flashes with desire, and I felt my face burn again with steady flames.

'I- I do not know what you talk of Doctor, and you cannot claim me yet for I do not even know of your name' I replied, smiling up at him as I realised that I have yet to know his name.

'The name is Colton my lady, may I escort you to your chambers?' He looks down at me, amusement clouding his features as he held out a hand. I quickly slapped it away gently, smiling up at him. We were locked in a stare down with smiles as we tried to outsmile the other. But then, strangely, our connection snaps as we hear an entourage of little feet patter up the stairs and along the corridor, coming straight to the hospital wing.

My head swivel to face the door, my ears straining to hear the little elephants as they ran up the wooden stairs in a hurry. I hear a low chuckle and I turned around to Colton who had a weird satisfied smile pasted on his face.

'That just shows that everyone loves you for your cooking' He laughs cheekily, opening the door to the masses of earnest faces as they pant from the exercise.

'EVEEEEEEY! EVEEEEEY!' Yells the children as they rampage into the room, almost trampling over the doctor.

'What are you doing at the hospital Evey? Are you sick? Do you have a stomach bug? Do you want my cookie?' Asks Jacob, his chocolate puppy dog eyes full of worry.

'Don't worry, Jacob, I'm alright, just ran into a door- silly me!' I smiled, trying to pacify him. I reached out to him, encircling him in my arms and picking him up onto the bed. I had almost forgotten all of the other kids, who are now also trying to clamber onto my bed, clutching at the blanket with their little hands. I full out laugh as I watch them get all red faced and angry at the bed, pouting at me with their puppy dog eyes. I could no longer stand it anymore and hopped off the bed, almost collapsing again as my head spun, but warm arms stabled me. I felt more safe than I had ever been my whole life. Colton gently smiled into my eyes, but our connection was broken again by the kids,

'EEEWW!!! EVEY!!! DOCTOR COLTON!!!' The kids all screamed, the older ones covering the little kids' eyes. My face turned tomato red again, and I try to stumble out of his arms, which suddenly became like a vice around me, not allowing me to move. Colton kissed me on the cheek so very gently- for the benefit of the kids I'm hoping.

The kids soon asked us, 'Are you guys done making out now?' Ellie asked. She was one of the cheekier ones of the bunch, but I love her just the same as Jacob.

I gasped at Ellie, and ask her quickly, 'Ellie, how do you know about making out? It wasn't Doctor Donovan who told you was it?' I sternly gaze at the both of them, Colton running his fingers through his hair uncomfortably.

'Oh no mister, you are not getting away with it this time.' I said to Colton, and turning to Ellie,

'And neither are you missy, you will both not be getting dessert this week.' I announce.

I saw Colton and Ellie both opening their mouths in shock and I said to them-

'And don't complain or it will be two weeks.'

'Yes ma'am.' The both chorus, their eyes widening in disbelief at my inconsiderateness.

I secretly smile inside and turning to the rest of the kids,

'Now, you would not want that to happen to you do you?' I ask them sweetly, giggling at their wide mouths that are gaping with disbelief.

'No ma'am.' They all chorused, their voices sounding like sweet angels- although we all know that they say bad words very frequently as the norm. This ought to teach them a lesson!

Colton interrupted the pouts around the room saying, 'Well, you kids best be off now, your cook needs to rest!' I turned to look at Colton, my own lips tugging down at the corners.

'B- But they just came!' I protested violently.

'Orders are orders, now out you go pups' He said, bustling off to round up the kids.

'But we want to stay Doctor Donovan! Pwease?' The children pleads, turning their puppy dog eyes to the now helpless doctor.

'I- I, fine. 10 minutes, but that's all I'm giving you' He allowed, striding to the opened door and closing it tight. I go back to the mattress, making myself comfortable as the kids all swarmed around me asking questions.

Tim, one of the cheeky 5 year old boys asks in a very loud whisper, 'Do you like Doctor Donovan, Miss Eve?'

I blush tomato red, my ears getting incredibly hot. I refused to answer his question and instead hushes him, turning to face Colton to find him staring back at me with an eyebrow reaching his hairline and an egotistical smirk on his face.

I coughed loudly, my head awkwardly spinning as my face overheats. What is happening to me? How can one man have such a big effect on me? Colton looks at me with worry, the smirk gone right out of his features, his forehead now crinkling violently.

'Are you alright? What's wrong? Maybe the kids should go, they're giving you too much stress!' Colton started, being such a mother hen. I stop him, grabbing his arm before he decides to open the door again.

'Please, just a couple of minutes?' I plead, my eyes going wide and watery.

Colton sighed and relents, 'Fine, 2 minutes alright? After that, you kids will be gone or else I'll call the alpha over here.'

'Yes Doctor!' The children and I say happily. I ruffle Tim's hair while cuddling Ellie next to me. I can't help it, these kids are my life. We chat quietly, trying not to bother Colton who was typing away on his computer. The kids gives me a get well card each, with their little paws to sign it off. My eyes tear up as I look at them and I crush them gently into a huge bear hug or should I say puppy hug. Colton randomly joins in and I stare at him making a 'whatahell' face as we stare at each other over the tops of the pups' heads. For some reason I start to imagine what kind of life I would have had if I wasn't a maid. Would I have a house full of pups like these and a loving husband? A movement catches my eyes and my thoughts were cut off as I see Colton wiggling his eyebrows at me. Well -maybe not a loving husband.

I let the children go and I smile at them, kissing them all gently on the cheek in thanks for their thoughtful cards. The boys all tries to duck their heads away and only one came up to receive his.

Colton's ocean eyes met with my chocolate ones and he asks me with a grin, 'Do I get a kissy too?'