44

//LIAMS POV//

"Emily, please don't! Listen to me!" I shouted as she looked at me blankly from inside the car.

She couldn't hear me, but I kept trying.

"For gods sake." I groaned and rested my hands over my head frustratedly.

I called her name once more as the taxi drove away, down the street.

I sighed sadly, and went back inside.

I closed the door behind me and slid down it until I was just about sat on the
floor.

Had I lost her? My soulmate? My future wife?

"What the hell have I done?" I muttered to myself and sat for a while.

~*~

"Dad!" I heard Ruby cry.

It was now 2:30am and I hadn't gone to bed yet.

I found myself sat on the sofa, in the dark with nothing but the TV as light.

I left it on volume 2, and completely ignored the fact that it was on a shopping channel, but who cares.

"Dada!" She cried again and I snapped back into reality.

I jumped up, and hurried up the stairs, into her room.

I picked her up, and rocked her in my arms but she continued to cry.

"Baby, shhh." I hushed.

"Dad." She kept crying quietly.

"Come on then." I said. I had an idea.

I wrapped Ruby in a blanket and slid on my shoes, and went out to the car.

I strapped her into her car seat in the passenger seat, and got into the driving seat.

I started the car, and turned on the radio quietly, and drove down into the city.

I hoped my mind would clear, but it wouldn't. All that was on my mind was Emily.

I thought about all the aspects of her. The way she laughed at just about anything. Her admiration for Ruby, her protection for her. The way she danced to anything that was on the radio while cleaning up in the kitchen. Her reaction to my proposal.

I had really messed up. Those few words kept repeating in my head.

"You aren't Ruby's mother, You never will be."

I could just imagine her now. Sat in her tiny little bedroom in her parents house, either sobbing her heart out, or fast asleep.

She had probably forgotten. She was probably asleep.

I could picture her now. Her curly blonde ringlets tied into a loose bun, her all-natural face laid fast asleep on the pillow.

"Ah Ruby. What have I done?" I mumbled to Ruby, who was now falling asleep next to me in the car seat.

I drove down Oxford street, and noticed the shops all still open and lit up. There were street lights gleaming up the dull roads.

I hummed along to the radio quietly, and noticed that Ruby was fast asleep.

The clock on the dashboard read that it was 3:25am. I had been up almost all night.

I decided I would begin to drive back home, considering it would take me another 40 minutes to get home.

It was genuinely heart breaking knowing that when I got home, Emily wouldn't be there.

Once I had finally got home, it was turning 4:40am so I went up to bed for the last few hours of the night and soon fell asleep with Ruby next to me.