Chapter Thirty-Eight

Elspet kept her eyes down as Grant escorted her to the table. She watched the stone floor as he pulled out her chair and guided her by the shoulder in before pressing her closer to the table. Once she was seated the Laird sat himself in the chair to her right.

"Grant, what made you accept Laird Douglas's proposal?"

Laird Macdonnell watched the young Laird with rapt fascination.

Grant looked at Elspet for a long second before turning back to the elder Laird.

"I assumed if her Laird was willing to give her away to my father then he must have absolutely no concern for her well being and I decided that she needed a husband, a Laird that would exactly give a damn. If I didn't accept his offer what other scum bag would he sell her to"

Elspet's eyes shot up to look at the dashing Laird.

"How dare ye insult me like that? What gives ye the right?"Laird Douglas growled.

Grant smiled charming at the fuming man.

"Maybe the fact that I have lands and an army and ye do not.."

The table became hushed.

Elspet couldn't stop staring at Grant, His green eyes and ashy blond hair was very out of place for a highlander yet he seemed one of the most stunning men she had ever met.

But what of Breac?

Elspet's eyes flickered towards her lover.

He was just as handsome in a traditional way, he loved her and they had given themselves to each other.

But while Breac shied away from protecting her from Laird Douglas and placed his clan before her, Grant stood up for her, he held Laird Douglas accountable and he used his clan as a stepping stone to protect her.

Breac was still but a Laird's son and a boy following in his father's footsteps.

Grant was a Laird; a man that took his life in his own hands and made justice his first priority.

Elspet's gaze began to flicker between the both of the men and her hands began to shake.

"Lady Elspet are ye alright?"

"Elspet?"

"ELSPET!"

Then everything went black.