Chapter Thirty-Five

At that exact moment Lady Macdonnell decided to grace the room with her presence.

"Why are my two eldest sons fighting like bloody lowlanders- no offense Elspet"Lady Macdonnell stood tall as she spoke and placed her hands upon her hips in a disapproving manner.

Braigh turned a sheepish red as he shied away from the altercation.

Breac continued to look upon his brother with murder in his eyes.

"What do ye want mother" Breac all but spit.

The sound of Lady Macdonnell's hand connecting with her eldest sons cheeks resounded throughout the room.

"Ye will never speak to me that way again do ye hear me Breacan?"

Breac's hand twitched towards his cheek but he didn't dare show weakness and cup it; he nodded solemnly as the aggression slowly dissipated from his tense body.

"Now I came here because the pile of scum we like to call Laird Douglas and Laird Alpine are nearly here and Elspet needs to dress. We can't have her wrapped in a sheet like a roman with hair astray and love marks blossoming. As much as ye would like to deny it Laird Alpine has laid claim to her and if he even has the inkling that she is nay a virgin he can have her killed without a thought."

Breac clenched his fists as his mother spoke of giving his Elspet away. He was just supposed to let her walk out of his life as if nothing happened.

"and you mister.."

Lady Macdonnell turned her sights on her middle child.

"Braigh darling, ye know your father and I have no qualms over your tryst with this quite lovely servant boy but ye cannot let Laird Alpine or Laird Douglas know over your affection for him. Both of them consider themselves " men of the church" and if they were to report you to the Pope.. we could be forced to strip you of your title and they could have your boy killed."

Hamish released a small squeak at the mention of his own death.

"Quite a bit is on the line for both of you, furthermore even more is at stake for our clan. We must behave and treat both Lairds with respect even if they nay deserve it"

Braigh and Breac shared a solemn look..

"Aye mother"