Chapter Nine

The wench ruined everything.

When Mae had removed the veil she had expected to a lass with horribly disfigured face,or scar cutting across;she never expected what she had saw.

Mae growled in frustration as she held the bloody ivory veil.She should have never taken it off,and she just the lass live her life hidden.Common servant girls didn't look like that,there had to be more to it;there had to be more.

But it didn't matter how the wretched the wench looked.The soliders would take care of her, they would gut her of all her marriageable qualities and leave her a shell of a girl.Laird Macdonnell would have no choice but to forbade his son from marrying the stupid wench for she would be with baird and the heir to the lairdship needed a legit heir not a bastard.Mae smiled wickedly to herself yes the lass would be out of the way quite soon if her agonized cries were anything to go by.

---------------------------------------------------------------

She left him breathless.

Even bloody and bruised she looked stunning,ethereal almost; like a broken angel.Then man that had disguised her beauty and tried to hide her like a diamond among rocks was surely mad.

Thick, dark wet lashes framed her large doe shaped eyes.Elspets eyes were the most stunning shade of violet,a dark rich purple the color of the finest most rare silks.Her nose was elegantly shaped with a soft upturn, and her plump mouth was the same shade as the blood smeared on her porcelain, poreless skin.

The only mark that could be considered marring her beauty was a shallow gash on her right cheekbone.But that would heal and the one that left it would be gutted on a stake if Breac had anything to say about it.

Soft whimpers drew Breac out of his daze and reminded him that his angel was in pain and he had not been able to prevent it and that cut him to the bone.Her captivating eyes were wide with fear and filled with unshed tears.Her white skin a mess of tear tracks and blood.Her mouth was bitten raw and whimpers and pained cries poured from her rosy lips.

"Shussh love I got you"Breac promised softly.He cradled her in his arm as carefully as possible attempting to keep from her tattered back and bruises limbs but it was practically impossible.He winced at every pained sound she made as he started in a light jog back to the manor.

He rushed to his chambre and laid her unconscious body front first onto his bed.Breac always dreamt the first time he laid a women to his bed it would be his wife;and it would be their wedding night.He dreamt of taking her apart and showing her his love and of them having a baird.He wanted Elspet in his bed..but never this way.

His heart screamed at him to stay with the lass and coo words of encouragement and endearment in her ear to help cut through the pain, but his mind knew that his lass had lost to much blood and he needed to act fast.HIs mother Lady Macdonnell was a accomplished healer and of that Breac was never more grateful as he ran to fetch her.

Breac reached his parents chambre and immeiatly dragged his mother from the bed, giving his father quite the fright.His mother questioned him dazed and confused as she dressed quickly in a cloak to cover her chemise but there was no time for words nor could he even form them if he tried; all that was on his mind was :

Elspet

Elspet

Elspet

All it took for Lady Macdonnell was one look at her eldest son and she knew it was important and questions could wait and so she allowed her son to drag her down the dark halls of the manor.

She was speechless as her son brought her into his chambre and she set eyes on the ailing lass.Her back looked shredded and bruises made a malevolent patchwork across her pale skin.Lady Macdonnell rushed to the lass's bedside and brushed the dark curls from her face and froze.

"Ainslie?"