Chapter Two

Highlanders were not men; they were bears.

They stood tall as cedar trees and were as solid as hardwood and towered above Elspet.

 To say they were intimidating was an understatement.

 Elspet stayed tucked into Cailean's side as they followed the balding highlander into the Manor.

The warmth from the interior typically would be welcomed but it only unfroze her legs. Slowly, the numbness faded away to her muscles screaming in fatigue and pain then suddenly her legs gave out. Elspet moaned softly anticipating the pain of the cold stone floor but, instead she was pulled into a warm embrace barely missing the floor.

 "Yee ok lass?" A gruff voice asked and she peered up and found herself face to face with a stately highlander lad. His hair was black as pitch and abnormally cropped short just below her ear. Dark brown eyes stared at her with concern she did not think was possible with these men

."I-­I'm f­i­-ine," Elspet stuttered as she removed herself from the man embrace only to be pulled back when she made to swoon.

"Yee are drenched and chilled to the bone," He chided before moving to hold her up with one hand and remove his cloak with another. The man then pulled the sopping wet stable blanket from her shoulders and grimaced at its condition. 

Elspet looked at him puzzled, wondering why was he helping her. She was a servant and a freak yet he didn't even question her station nor did he evade her because of her veiled face. The feeling of warmth engulfing her brought her from her stupor as she met his disapproving gaze once again.

"Who would let a lady travel to the highlanders with a summer dress and bare feet?" He questioned. 

Elspet looked down at her pale blue feet and wiggled her toes experimentally. "I am not a lady sir, just an orphaned servant lass for Laird Douglas," She mumbled to her feet. 

The man shook his head in disagreement, "No matter your station lass you could have caught your death and yee are weak need to rest."

The lass had intrigued Breac. She reminded him of a foal taking their first steps as she shakily backed away from him. She stood as tall as a highlander women which was quite peculiar for lowlanders. Her thin pale blue dress matched her frozen feet and lips. The dress hanging loosely and wet on her. What drew his attention the most was her veil. She wore an ivory veil that obscured her hair and facial features and all he could think was why.

Why would a young lass do such a thing? Was it a lowlander thing?

No, couldn't possibly be, he had never seen another lowland women do such a thing. Was she disfigured in some way and wished to hide it? That had to be it..no other way would a women disguise herself.

Her state of dress and health made Breac livid. He did not know what it was but something about the lass made him want to protect her with all his worth and the fact that someone neglected her basic needs in such a harsh climate such as a cloak, a proper dress and even boots? It made Breac's vision cloud with a red mist. No lass should freeze and starve or fall ill not in Clan Macdonnell. "Yee need a warm bath and rest," Breac all but ordered. 

The lass quickly looked up. "I need to find my Laird, servant's don't have the luxury of warm bathing. Laird Douglas only allows us to bath in the River Evelen and, I do not think the ruling will be much different here nor would the Laird of this clan enjoy having filth permeate his wash basins," Elspet said softly preparing to leave.

Breac felt his breath whoosh out of him. Were servants in the lowlands really treated like cattle? Forced to bathe in cold rivers and raised to address themselves as filth? 

"Nay lass I am Breac, Laird Macdonnell's son, and if I wish for yee to bathe yee shall bathe. Yee are not trash yee are a wee lass who has endured the brunt of the highlands winter. Yee are not filth not here in this clan and if any lad or laird tells you differently he is the true filth. Now yee will follow me and bathe for I will not have a lasses death on my hands," Breac corrected gently.

Elspet shook her head sternly "I am sorry sir but me Laird would not be happy and-­" Elspet began to object when she suddenly found herself upside down and staring at the Laird's son rather fine bottom. 

"What do yee think yee are doing!" Elspet squeaked in surprise as Breac began to carry her down a long corridor.

 "I am making sure yee don't catch your death and yee refused to do so willingly so I had to improvise," Breac chuckled softly and he carried the elusive lass down to his chambers.