Chapter Thirteen

WARNING

This chapter is very dark and a look into Elspet's past.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Her face felt bare without it. After twelve summers of wear she had grown accustomed to it's constant presence and annoying ways.Twelve summer she had worn that veil. Yet here she stood. Veil strewn on the floor and a shaking hand stroking the soft mahogany back of Lady Mae's hand mirror.

Laird Douglas only had three rules for her

Never remove the veil unless in the privacy of yee's own room

Never gaze into a mirror

Always obey blindly.

Her she stood breaking two of the damned rules.Elspet couldn't take it anymore.The curiosity was eating her alive.The hand stroking the mirror back slowly grasped the handle and began to flip it mirror side up.She began to see glimpses of thick dark hair and the peak of pale skin.

"Why you wretched wench"

Elspets dropped the mirror from pure astonishment as the Laird bounded towards her.His dark eyes were laden with hatred and blood lust.

She saw the first blow coming but didn't dare defend herself.

Laird Douglas would have her hanged if she tried that.

Elspet tumbled into shards of thick glass from the mirror as the harsh blow to her bare cheek forced her to her knees.

"Listen to me Elspet.."

She flinched when he spoke her name.

"Yee are a disgusting,vile,hideous pet."

She wouldn't cry.

"I took you into this manor out of the goodness of me own heart and yee know why?"

She continued to look down.

"Answer me my pet do yee know why?!"

He accented the question with another harsh slap.

"No..Yee Lairdship"

The word's tumbled out of her mouth like vomit.

"Because even yee own mother wanted a hideous creature like yourself"

She wouldn't cry.

" Now my pet, if yee ever try to bare your hideous face to anyone I will string them up with yee intestines and if yee dare look upon yee own face I will blind yee just like I blinded yee dear friend."

She cried.