Chapter Seven

• Dedicated to John E. Gower (My Grandfather)

Breac's eyes flashed open to find a lass hovering above him. Elspet, she was in his bed and that sent a shot of heat through body and had him rolling over and pinning the object of his curiosities and affections beneath his own body.

"Mhmm I knew you felt it too."

The familiar shrill voice had Breac squinting through the darkness and drawing back as if he had been burned and pushing himself off of the bed and against the far wall.

"I thought yee were Elspet.." Breac blurted shocked.

Mae sat up amongst Breac's furs a look of disgust falling upon her face.

"Elspet?! The beastly wench!" Mae stood and begun to approach Breac. She adorned only her sheer chemise and her hair loosely plaited.

"Yee shouldn't be in my room much less any lads room! What would yee Laird think?" Breac deflected.

The scantily clad lass's face reddened with shame and anger. "What about yee's Laird? How would he feel knowing his eldest son was fronicating with a disfigured orphan wench?!" She crowed.

Breac snarled and grasped the lass's arm tightly dragging her closer. "Yee will not speak ill of her and at least she is not a whore slipping into lad's beds without their knowledge," He all but spat.

Mae tore herself from him. "How dare you speak of me that way I am the daughter of a Laird?"

"And I'm a Lairds son."

"Yee will regret this yee bastard!" She screeched before fleeing from his chambre.

Breac flinched at her exclamation and groaned sliding down the wall to his knees in exasperation.

"Wench!" Mae growled as she flung the door to the grimy servant quarter. The loathsome servant lay on her stomach upon her cot her horrid face still covered by the blasted veil. Mae noticed with smug satisfaction that he back was a bloody mess but that was not enough. Mae threaded claw like hand into a mixture of linen and hair and yanked the veiled lass from her cot violently and threw her upon the soot covered ground.

Elspet screamed in agony as her back was licked by a fiery pain. Hamish startled awake from his cot across the room. "Ellie!" He stood and stumbled towards the general direction of the scream.

Mae snarled and pushed the pathetic cripple back and into his cot harshly. "What is so special about you? Why does he want you?!" Mae demanded.

Elspet looked up at her attacker, "What are you speaking about Lady Ma­-"

"Donna speak my name you dreadful beast!" Mae howled slapping Elspet so hard the words died in her victim's mouth and blood pooled.

Mae stared at the now crying wench as she clutched her mouth and blood began to stain the veil and suddenly she felt contempt towards the offending fabric.

Mae grinned viciously and ripped the bloodied veil away.

Suddenly the grip on Elspet's hair loosened and she was dropped completely to the floor and Lady Mae stumbled away with a mask of complete shock adorning her face.

"Yee.."

The just as quickly as she was freed she found herself back in the malevolent lass's clutches and being dragged from the quarters.

Elspet fumbled behind Mae she was wearing only her chemise for she had been sleeping and the thin material was now soaked with blood from her lashes reopening. Mae dragged her out of the manor and Elspet could feel the fear beginning to take hold as she stumbled through the snowy dark in only her undergarments.

She then found herself pulled in front of the soldiers barracks and realization set in and she struggled weakly against the light haired lass.

"See if your precious Breac wants a whore laden with child!" Mae hissed as she threw open the bolt and thrust Elspet into the lions den before bolting the large door shut.

Elspet faced the door banging and pleading for her freedom when began fear trickled down her spine like ice and choked her voice.

"Why what do we have here?"