Chapter Thirty-Three

Breac awoke to a warm body pressed against his chest and a mouthful of brown curls. He sputtered around the mouthful of hair trying to not wake his darling but failing miserably on both accounts.

"Breac" Elspet giggled sleepily as she moved to pluck the strands of hair from the highlanders mouth.

"I always imagined the first morning waking up with my lass to be romantic and full of passion not an attempt on my life."

Elspet crooked an eyebrow as she peered up at him with questions reminiscent in her eyes.

Breac lifted a hand to thump the lowlander lightly on the nose.

"Yee tried to choke me with your hair, Is that how it's going to be lass? Kill me off so yee can steal my riches?" Breac teased playful as he flipped them over and began to tickle her mercilessly.

The dimly lit room filled with tinkling laughter and the light of dawn.

"Yee have foiled my master plan!" Elspet stuttered out between giggles.

The warrior broke into a brilliant smile then began to smother her with kisses.

The door to Breac's chambre suddenly flew open as Braigh and Hamish tumbled in.

"LairdAlpinewasjustspottedinthevillageLairdDouglaswrotetohimandheiscomingtogetandmarryElspethere!"Braigh and Hamish exclaimed together.

Elspet moved to sit up causing Breac to growl wrap her up in a thick bear skin up to her neck.

Elspet rolled her eyes before addressing their guests.

"First off breath,Second close the bloody door and third repeat everything you just said like civil people"

Braigh quickly the door and pulled Hamish into his side.

"Ellie yee need to get dressed and get back to your chambre" Hamish said seriously.

Breac's brow furrowed as he watched them "What is going on Braigh?"

"Laird Alpine was just spotted entering the village with an entourage...Laird Douglas wrote to him of your interest in Elspet and Alpine has come to personal escort his betrothed to his keep"

In that moment the entire feeling in the room shifted to despair.

"I thought we still had a fortnight till I had to leave.."Elspet whimpered softly.

"Elspet..we believe Sion plans to marry yee here and make an example of yee in front of Breac.."

"Like hell he will"