Chapter Thirty-Six

A fortnight ago Elspets would never of guessed that she would be treated by handmaids and clutching onto a bed post as Lady Macdonnell laced her into a dress of heavy ivory fabric and gold embroidery.

From rags to riches in the most depressing way possible.

As she was dress Hamish sat cross legged on the bed stroking Elspet's trembling hands.

"Ye are shaking Ellie" Hamish whispered in the softest voice.

"I have a feeling that tends to happen when ye are being married off as breeding stock to the most terrible man in all of Scotland" Elspet bit back.

The hands on her dress paused mid lacing before finishing.

"Leave us"Lady Macdonnell ordered in a harsh voice.

The few handmaids scurried out of the chamber.

"You to Hamish" Lady Macdonnell ordered, her voice softer this time.

"Yes Mi'lady"

Lady Macdonell waited until the boy felt his way out of the room and shut the chambre door.

Elspet found herself being spun around to meet the eyes of the Lady.

"Elspet, ye must understand..I would give anything to have you as a daughter.. for Breac to marry you

and for you to bear his children.. There is no one I would rather give the title of Lady Macdonnell..but as Lady Macdonnell and wife to the Laird I must agree with him when he says the clans comes first.." The elder woman cupped Elspets cheek. "As a mother I want to throw those nasty men out of my home and see you with my son, but as a leader of this clan it is simply something I cannot do."

Elspet smiled weakly

" I know Mi'lady"

Lady Macdonnell sighed deeply before leading Elspet over to a hard wooden stool beside her sons weapons table.

Elspet waited in silence as Lady Macdonnell plaited her hair and sealed her fate.

------

When Elspet thought about meeting Laird Alpine she imagined a burly older man with a gruesome smile and scars scattered upon his body.

She imagined he would gaze upon her lewdly and strike her is she even breathed wrong.

She imagined she would think of him as a monster her mind flooded with disgust and hatred as she gazed upon him..

 What he didn't expect was:

A strapping young man presenting a crisp red rose

And as his hand brushed her's in presentation..

She didn't feel disgust

She felt...

Sparks

(P.S Elspet's dress is at the top.. a lot of her fashion is inspired by Reign)