Chapter Seventeen

Breac watched as Ennis dragged Mae away to lock her away in her quarters. As he sat on the cool stone floor of the armory he began to feel his chest ache.

Elspet

Elspet

Elspet

He felt as if his own heartbeat was a whisper of her name. He ached with the need to see her,to hold her;to cherish her.

There was a string tied around his heart and it was tugging him up the stairs and towards his chambre where she was. Breac had dreamed of things like this every night even before Elspet blessed him with her presence in her life. Before her it was a faceless women. Breac dreamed of being married and sharing everything he had. Of having bairns weaving through his feet and filling the hall with laughter and love. He dreamed of going off to war and upon his return receiving the greeting he envied as he watched his men .Bairns hugged your feet and a lass in your arms whose kisses covered your face and tears wet your tunic.Yes at first it was a faceless women and now,now that women was Elspet.

Once Breac reached the large oak door of the chambre he paused. He could hear a murmur of voice within the chambre. Then he pushed open the door.

                                                             —-

"This room is so luxurious"Hamish chuckled as he laid upon the thick wool rug infront of the burning hearth.His long limbs spread around him as he basked in the warmth.

Elspet let out a soft tinkling laugh as she sighed a relaxed in the large copper wash basin. Hamish had insisted upon her bathing saying it would soothe the bruises that patterned her skin and soften the wounds helping there be less scarring and damn was he right.The bath was warm and soothed her aches and pains.

Her gashes upon her back stung at first when she entered the water and throbbed now as she leaned her back against the edge of the basin

"No wonder they donna mind living in such harsh conditions they have hearths the size of horses"Elspet smiled and reached out to run a wet hand through Hamish's hair and dribble some water into his face.

Hamish squawked and batted at her hand "Stop interrupting my sun basking Ellie"

"Is is not the sun Ham"Elspet laughed

"Well as far as the blind boy is concerned it is the sun"

Then the large chambre door opened.

Elspet squeaked and dove under the water as if to hide herself.

"Lass?"