Chapter Twenty-Three

"No"

Breac's head snapped up to find Laird Douglas staring at him with dark malice.

"Excuse me?"Breac snarled as he shielded Elspet from the other man's sick gaze.

"Allow me to elaborate seeing as the blunt approach wasn't enough for you..No Elspet will not be agreeing to any marriage contract with you because of the simple fact that she is not only a women in my clan.She is also orphaned and my ward and with no other man to agree to things on her behalf that honor falls upon me so frankly she can't even agree if she wanted to. She would have to come to me..her Laird and request. But to save her all that energy I will give ye my answer now...No .."Laird Douglas chuckled darkly as he watched the murderous look drift onto the young warriors face.

Breac knew what kind of man Laird Douglas was..he was beast of greed and power. Breac had met many men like him..he knew how to play his sick game.

"What do ye want? Money? Warriors? Horses? Land? name your vice and I will deliver..just think about it you will have an alliance with one of the strongest and one of the most wealthy clans in all of Scotland.. What more could you want?" Breac spoke firmly as he watched the pale haired man approach his bed.

Elspet stayed silent the entire time. She shook softly with fear and stray tears escaped her tightly clenched eyes as she shrunk into Breac as if she was trying to disappear entirely.

"Why lad you already answered your own question...you ask what more could I want..and the answer is simple. I donna want an alliance with one of the most powerful clans..I want it with the most powerful clan.."Laird Douglas smiled as he reached a meaty hand to stroke a stray lock of Elspets hair.

Breac growled at his intrusion and pulled Elspet to chest and effectively away from the disgusting excuse for a man.

"Now that the lasses appearance is made known to you and others I cannot simply stash her away into the shadows..no I'm going to use her. You see men are very primal creatures and men like Sion Alpine... they have an obsession with quality..they always have the best horses, the finest weapons and the most bonny of classes...Sion's wife recently met a very unfortunate demise and left him with no heirs..and now the position of Lady Alpine needs to be filled and an new alliance forged."

Elspet sobbed into Breac's chest clutching his tunic till her knuckles were bleached white.

"He killed his last wife!! he bludgeoned her to death because she beared a lass then murdered the bairn!! Ye know that!!"Breac exclaimed the true rotten nature of the man before him soul appalled him.

Laird Douglas threaded his large hand into Elspets thick hair and yanked..as he dragged her out from beneath Breac and towards his bed chamber door a desperate scream for her lover clawed it's way out of her throat.

"I could care less what he does with the damn wench..All I care about is the land and warriors I will be gifted with from the marriage; that will help me rebuild my clan. Not that it's any of your business lad..ye are merely a first born  and yes its true that ye will be a Laird one day but today is not that day, as of now ye are just a lad; you can find me when you actually have the power to contend with me."