Chapter Fourty

"I fainted?"

Grant chuckled softly as the dark haired lass looked at him confused.

"Yes ye had quite the spell. You fell and the Laird's son swept you up and made to bring you here but I assured him I could handle it. He got quite angry until Lady Macdonnell took him away. I then brought you here with the assistance of the Laird's second son and his lover.

"Why was Breac upset, and why did you not allow him to help me?" Elspet asked quietly.

"Well I did not think ye would be comfortable if ye were to wake while in his arms and I assume he was upset because I challenged his authority." Grant answer was quick and honest.

Elspet flushed scarlet as she spoke "I am sorry that ye first impression of me was a fainting spell.. I assure ye I am of good health I have never had a spell before"

Grant glanced at Braigh and Hamish "Please leave us"

The two love birds left quickly.

Grant snickered "I donna care of impression I merely care if my betrothed is taken care of.. ye are extremely thin and I do not know if it is for vanity lass but it is not healthy.. also ye dress is of good quality but it does not fit ye correct and it is old so I believe it is one ye borrowed which leads me to believe you have not been cradled in the lap of luxury as ye "uncle" addressed in his letter."

Elspet glanced down at her hands shamefully.

"Ye hands are firm with callouses and dirt is crushed under your nails, You are not the daughter of Laird Douglas's wealthy trader brother who died in France while trading lace.. You were a servant.."

"Laird Alpine I can explain..please donna punish me I am only do-"

"Shush little bird.. I am not going to hurt you and I understand your situation more than ye think.."Grant cracked a weak smile

"Elspet we both have something in common"

Elspet laughed humorlessly "And what could that possibly be Laird Alpine?"

"We both have been oppressed are entire lives by cruel powerful men, we have allowed them to hurt and manipulate us and ones we love. Elspet..the way you act around Laird Douglas.. it is the same mannerism my mother had.. she shied away from my father's every move.. she cast her eyes down and she held her breath every time she believed she did wrong.. she lived in fear..you live in fear"

The lilac eyed lass released a skittering breath as she wrung her hands within her lap.

"The only difference between us Elspet is I have broken my chains..and that leads me to my last question.."

Elspet looked into the Laird's eyes.

"What is ye question?"

"Are you ready to break yours?"