Chapter Nineteen Part 2

Elspet threw herself away from Breac as if he held a poisonous snake. Her reckless action caused her to groan in pain and several stitches to rip.

"Lass!" Breac cried out dropping the mirror onto the stone floor causing the beautiful silver hand mirror to shatter.

Elspet leaned against one of the large oak posts on Breac's bed clutching her ripped open wound. She looked at him with pleading eyes. "Please..I donna wanna see..you don't understand sir what they will do to me what they will do to you. They already will throw coals in your eyes for seeing me and they— they I donna know what they are going to do to me.."

Breac felt his heart be crushed by her words.His gaze drifted towards Hamish who now sat upright his face trained in their general direction. "Is that what they did to yee friend lass?"Breac asked softly as he held his hand out in front of himself as he slowly stepped towards her.

Elspet shrank away one of her bloodied hands went to tear at the plait he had made; freeing her hair and using it as a covering to hide her face.

"Lass who is they? Please tell me..I can protect you I can seek justice for you if you just tell me."Breac coaxed desperately.

"You canna do anything..He is my Laird and you are not I am his subject..his to do with as he pleases."Elspet whispered in despair.

"Tis not true Lass..he canna be a laird without lands..he is now merely a man of former title on Macdonnell lands..I am the future Laird I can offer you not only my protection but the protection of my men if you will just trust me"Breac spoke softly as he took the final step to stand directly in front of the distraught lass.

"How am I to trust yee if i donna even know yee, much less why do yee even want to help me..yee have gazed upon my hideous face yee know what a wretch I am yet you keep coming back with yee smiles and tonics and caring touch..why! why! what do yee want from me!" Elspet was suddenly filled with the strange boldness, For she would surely be hung for her crimes against Lady Mae and disobeying Laird Douglas's orders if she was to be killed she wanted to die with answers.

Then he was touching her.

He swept the thick ringlets from her face and cupped her cheeks softly being careful of the fading bruises. He then brought her face close to his and a soft pressure was laid upon her plump bruised lips.

He was kissing her.

Then he pulled away and forced her to look into his eyes. "Yee are not wretched lass..yee are the most beautiful lass I have ever seen no that I will ever see. I donna know why he Laird lied to you nor why he mistreated you but I swear on my honor I will find out for yee..Yee want to know why I have helped you and why I want to continue to help you and that is simple to answer. It's because I see so much good in you that even though you have been beaten and broken you have not allowed them to rob you of your goodness..and also because I see hope in us.. yee may think it strange and yee can reject me if yee wish and i promise i will still promise yee my protection but.."

Breac took a deep breath and closed his eyes leaning his forehead against hers.

"I canna promise yee love now but I can promise yee the chance of it if yee just let me in. I donna love you now but I know I can..."