Running Wild and Running Free

When she opened her eyes a bright light filled the room making her groan and slam them shut.

"Either something happened and I'm in the hospital or someone opened the windows."

She heard a distant chuckle and turned her head, her eyes small slits to see her husband exiting the bathroom wearing a gray suit and fiddling with his tie.

"Am I actually seeing this?" She asked in disbelief. He actually looked...happy about going to work.

"Probably not very clearly since you're not wearing your glasses," he remarked.

She fumbled for her glasses she had laid on the night stand and slipped them on. Her eyes widened.

"I don't believe it. You're up early, and you're never up early. Are you actually excited to go to work?"

He smiled as he buttoned up his suit coat, then strode over to place a kiss on her temple.

"Today is a good day," he said simply. She smiled at his obvious enthusiasm. It was rare to see him so light.

"Why's that?"

"Because our company is our company again."

"Ah, that means you get to make the press release. You're right, today is a good day," she said with a cheeky grin as she leaned back against the headboard.

"Oh no, you're still my partner, I would hate to take the spotlight from you."

"Ha, no thank you. I'd rather shoot that spotlight out with one of your arrows."

"When did you get so violent?"

"You know I really don't know. I think it was already there but you brought it out in me."

"You say it like it's a good thing," he said his forehead creasing in worry.

"Oliver, everyone had darkness in them. What they choose to do with it makes them the person they are, good or bad. Felicity Smoak from five years ago would not have offered herself as bait for Mathis or pointed an arrow at the Huntress. I've become stronger since I've met you. So please, please don't think you're turning me into some vengeful wannabe vigilante. Because that is the last thing I want to be, like ever. I just want to be strong enough to protect my family. That's it."

"Good because there was no way I was ordering you a suit."

"Ugh, no way. After this baby joins the world there is no way I'm forcing myself into leather." She tried to sit up but ended up mostly waving her arms a grunting. "Would you mind?" He took her hand and helped her sit up straight. "What time is it?"

He checked his watch. "8:15."

"I need to get ready for work," she said hurriedly as she climbed out of bed and walked to the bathroom to brush her teeth.

"Why don't you stay home today?" Oliver asked while coming to lean on the door frame.

"Because everyone still thinks I'm the secretary that slept her way to the top," she replied as she rinsed her mouth.

"You don't have anything to prove."

"You're right, I don't. Not to the employees anyways. To myself... I do."

She ran a brush through her hair and tied it back in it's usual pony tail and started on her makeup. She decided to keep it light so it didn't take long to do. With a final swipe of her pink lipstick she caught Oliver's eyes in the mirror. She set the tube down and turned to lean against the counter, crossing her arms loosely.