You're Something Else

The pain was excruciating, like someone was repeatedly stabbing her all over. It was temping to give up. To just quit. But quitting had never been Felicity Smoak Queen's style.

Sweat was clinging to her brow and Oliver pushed some of the hair away to lay a kiss on her forehead.

Dr. Graves stood up from where he had been checking her progress and deposited his gloves into the bin.

"You're close Mrs. Queen. I know you're getting tired but we need that baby to drop some more."

"What can we do?" Oliver asked. She scoffed internally at the word 'we.' What was wrong with her? Of course he said 'we.' They were partners, in everything, especially this.

"Take a walk," Dr. Grave's replied. Oliver blinked.

"I know I'm not a doctor and excuse me for saying this but what good is a walk going to do? She can barely stand up."

"Tell him in less gross terms please. I still want to have to have a sex life after this," she panted and Oliver sent her a look. Apparently labor made her filter malfunction even more than usual, or maybe it was because it was true and she just didn't care anymore.

"Gravity Mr. Queen is a powerful thing," Dr. Graves answered simply.

Oliver glanced at her. "I should have known that."

"You did," she reassured him. Funny. Wasn't he supposed to be reassuring her?

He ran his hands through his hair making it stand on end in a way that she would have found sexy if she wasn't you know, in labor.

"Okay. You want to try walking?"

Honestly, her legs felt like jello, someone had stabbed a knife in her back and she had to pee, but sure she'd take a walk.

"Anything to get this over with faster." Upon her answer Betty started to unhook her from the monitors. A few minutes later she shifted on the bed, her feet dangling over the side as Oliver put and arm around her back. The nurse brought her a pair of slippers and she smiled her thanks for the thoughtful gesture. She groaned as she stood up earning her a concerned look from the nurse and her husband.

"I know you're set on a natural birth Felicity, and it's not my place to try and convince you otherwise but I've been a nurse a very long time, I know what's coming and it gets a whole lot worse before it gets better." Betty turned to Oliver. "It's your first baby. The excitement is lost when you see the person you love in so much pain. Talk to her, get her to at least consider the epidural." She put a gentle hand on his arm as she passed. When she got to the door she turned to glance at them. "Now would the perfect time," she said before she slipped from the room.

Oliver helped her from the bed and into the hall. She took his hand for stability. Her cent er of gravity was way off.

"I really wish you'd reconsider Felicity," Oliver pleaded, his heart in his eyes.

"Oliver, we've talked about this," she sighed in exasperation as she paced.

"I know but Felicity-" He cut off when another contraction gripped her. She reached blindly for him and he was at her side in seconds, supporting her as he guided them to the wall where she held onto the railing. She focused on her breathing, barely aware of Oliver at her side from the pain.

When the contraction started to release her from it's clutches she glanced up at Oliver to see the worst expression she'd ever seen gracing his features. He looked like he was being tortured. She hated herself a little then. Her refusal to have the epidural and having what Oliver deemed unnecessary pain had created that look. She'd caused that, by being stubborn.