Part Twenty Nine

Chapter 29
Mia's P.O.V.

We descended the other million steps down the Eiffel tower and ran through the night.  Lights lit up the city, the stars dull in comparison. Since we had another early morning and long plane trip, so we ran through the streets, hand in hand, back to the hotel. I was shivering by the time we got back, even though it was in the middle of the summer.
"I'm c..c...cold." I stuttered and rubbed my arms.
Luca and I changed into our pajamas and jumped onto the bed. I was shaking, half frozen. Luca smiled and held out his arms and I gratefully accepted them. I curled up into a ball in an attempt to save my life and closed my eyes. Before I went completely under, I heard a whisper.
"Goodnight Babydoll."

We boarded the plane in the morning, me as attractive as a llama. I quietly edited pictures on my laptop since sleep evaded me. Luca half watched, half dozed on my shoulder. I came to one where Luca had flowers in his hair. His eyes were staring right into the camera, bluer than the summer sky. His mouth was slightly parted, and his face flushed. I tried out different effects, but skipped to the next one. Going through all my pictures, I found that most of them were of Luca and I smiled. How could someone that I thought I hated, have such an important role in my life now. Love works in mysterious ways. I stopped myself. Love? Did I love Luca? Did he love me? My thoughts were interrupted by the pilot's voice floating through the intercom. I pecked Luca on the mouth and he stirred and opened his blue orbs.
"Time to land." I murmured.
"Ok, Babydoll." He stretched as he sat up, making dinosaur noises.
I smiled to myself as he took my hand. Wonder where he's taking me this time.

"We aren't staying in a hotel this time Babydoll, I hope you don't mind." Luca said, biting his lower lip.
"I don't care as long as the place has a nice soft bed." I replied, rubbing my eyes and massaging my sore neck.
"Oh we will have a bed," He reassured me. "We are staying with some friends of mine...Francesca and Laurent."
"Kay." I said and watched as a small red Mini Cooper made its way towards us, kicking up dust behind it.
"Hello!" A man's voice boomed.
"Laurent!" Luca smiled and they did that weird bro hugging thingy. I shook Laurent's hand and accepted a kiss on the cheek. A woman got out of the car too.
"Francesca, lovely as ever." Luca smiled and kissed her on the cheek.  Francesca and I kissed each other's cheek. Wow, meeting someone took a lot here.
"Francesca, Laurent, this is Mia." Luca introduced me.
"Nice to meet you." I murmured.
Francesca smiled at me and touched my arm.
"Beautiful. Very beautiful." she said, her accent thick. Laurent nodded in agreement.
Luca looked down at me and kissed my forehead. I blushed a shade of pink.
"Let us go back to the house and catch up." Laurent smiled and helped us into the Cooper.

About half an hour of driving later, we turned into a long driveway. Dirt and small pebbles flew up against the windows, making it hard o see. The radio came on, and Laurent immediately started singing along. I looked at hi as he sang. He was tall and masculine. He couldn't have been more than 22. He brushed a flop of wavy black hair out of his eyes and smiled at Francesca. Se rolled her eyes and joined in on the chorus, her voice clear and confident. She was a petite woman, no older than Laurent. Her blonde hair was roughly cut into layers and brushed her shoulders. Her deep brown eyes crinkled at the corners when she smiled. I watched as Laurent took her hand. It was clear that they loved each other, it wasn't fake feelings. I laid my head on Luca's shoulder, closing my eyes. He lace our hands together, as the car pulled to a stop. What a driveway. We stepped out and Laurent and Francesca helped us haul our bags out of the trunk. I turned and gazed at the house. Terracotta tiles made up the roof, and ivy sprawled up the siding like spreading fingers. Wildflowers grew in window boxes underneath the many windows. It felt like home...like back in Michigan. I felt someone's hands on my shoulders.
"You like the house?" She asked.
I nodded. "I love it."
Francesca smiled and opened up the front doors, the aromas of food and wine and candles and sunshine smacked me in the face. I inhaled and followed Luca inside.