Part Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

            Luca and I explained everything to her and she sat there, with an unreadable expression on her face. After we were finished she looked from me to him, not saying one word.

            “M..mom?” I asked.

            “I don’t know what to say…” She said.

            “I know what I did was wrong but…”

            “Mia, I’m not mad, just a bit…surprised.” She interrupted me.

I sat there as her expression softened.

            “I guess I better make you kids a snack.” She smiled halfway and disappeared into the kitchen.

Luca stood up and I looked at him quizzically.

            “I was going to see if she needed help.” He replied and pulled me up into the kitchen.

            I scowled as Mom and Luca bonded and I was just drug around the kitchen.

            “So you two really have to stay like that for the rest of the summer.”

Luca smiled. “Really.”

            “Unfortunately.” I responded at the same time.

Luca looked at me and I stuck my tongue out.

            “Someone’s tired.” He mumbled.

I crossed my arms and sighed. Mom and Luca began talking about something and I just tuned them out. I thought about the moment before the phone started ringing. Was I really going to kiss him? What if I had liked it? What would happen after the kiss? I snapped away from my thoughts when my mom popped a piece of something in my mouth. I half choked half coughed, not expecting the snack to be popped in my mouth. The taste of chocolate chip cookie filled my mouth.

            “Mia, you needed to close your mouth or a fly was going to buzz in.” My mom said, laughing and Luca chuckled with her. I glared at both of them, which they both ignored and began munching on the cookies. I sat on the floor, pulling Luca slightly with me. I laid down on the kitchen floor, making him fall down next to me. I closed my eyes and felt two pairs of eyes on me. I ignored them. The last thing I heard was my mother saying “Take care of her.” And a pair of strong arms lifting me up.

Luca’s P.O.V.

           I was glad that her mother accepted me into their house. I was afraid of her freaking out and then making us separate. I needed to make sure that my feelings were true for her. Deep down I knew that they were, but it would kill me to be separated from her because I knew that, that damn Shane would move in and take her. I couldn’t let that happen. I laid her down in her bed and tucked her in, afraid of waking her. I looked at her for a moment and smoothed the hair out of her face. I laid on the couch next to her and closed my eyes.

                                                    If only she knew.