Spoonful of Sugar

Running Up That Hill-Placebo

--------------------------------------------

It doesn't hurt me.
You wanna feel how it feels?

Lee ran into the hospital with Richard's carrier on his arm. "Kim, what's going on?"

You wanna know, know that it doesn't hurt me?

"There was an accident." His manager sighed. "So far the media just knows that a car was hit by a drunk driver on the highway and not who it was. We've been able to keep that much disclosed."

You wanna hear about the deal I'm making?

"Kim, that doesn't tell me what is happening."

You be running up that hill

"Miss Hodgert? You and your client may come back now."

You and me be running up that hill

Lee, Richard, and Kim went back through a series of short halls and came to a special section of the ICU. Lee didn't want to go in, his feet wouldn't move past the threshold of the door. He didn't want to see what he dreaded.

And if I only could,
Make a deal with God,

"Lee, they were only able to save one." Kim placed her hand reassuringly on his arm.

And get him to swap our places,
Be running up that road,

He took in a sharp breath, tears filling his vision. "One?" His palms sweated.

Be running up that hill,
Be running up that building.

Kim took Richard's carrier and led Lee to the hospital bed. The room was large and ominous, monitors and wires everywhere. All leading up to the small figure laying in the bed.

If I only could, oh...

"Skylar," Lee breathed. He fell into the chair by the bed. Seeing the dancing pattern of burns across her skin, the barrier that held back all of Lee's tears spilled over. "Oh my sweet Skipper."

You don't want to hurt me,
But see how deep the bullet lies.

"She can hear you Lee." Kim smiled a little as Lee stroked his daughter's hair gently. He noticed that one extremity under the blanket was shorter than the other, considerably shorter.

Unaware that I'm tearing you asunder.

He pulled back the blanket and felt sick at the sight. Skylar had one full leg, and a leg that ended just about the knee. Lee's cries became harder and the feeling of being sick came up again. How could this happen to his daughter?

There is thunder in our hearts, baby.

"Rory-" Lee swallowed hard. "Rory is gone?"

So much hate for the ones we love?

"They did everything they could to save her. Even Skylar is lucky to still be here." Kim nodded.

Tell me, we both matter, don't we?

"Can I have a moment alone with my daughter?" He asked, his nails digging into the palms of his hand.

You, be running up that hill

Kim left and Lee paced the room. The tears still poured from him like burning streams.

You and me, be running up that hill

"Skylar, they say you can hear me. And I really hope you can. Cause your Daddy loves you very much. You're so precious to me Skylar." Lee took in a deep breath. "Just don't go away."

You and me won't be unhappy.

"Lee, the police are here. They want to know if you would like to press charges on the driver." Kim stuck her head into the room.

And if I only could,
Make a deal with God,

"Whatever this man is guilty for I want taken care of. Charge him with whatever you can." Lee's phone buzzed in his pocket and he pulled it out, seeing that it was Richard.

And get him to swap our places,

"Hey Lee. I got a phone call from Kim just as I was about to get on the plane. I'm on my way to the hospital now."

Be running up that road,

"No, Richard you need to be on that plane. We'll be okay." Lee wiped his eyes.

Be running up that hill,

"Too late, I've already called my manager and cancelled whatever meetings I had. I'm coming and there's nothing you can do about it."

Be running up that building,

"Thanks man. I'll see you when you get here." Lee hung up and replaced his hand into Skylar's.

If I only could, oh...

"How is she?" Richard asked as he came in the room. His heart fell when he saw his goddaughter laying in the bed.

'C'mon, baby, c'mon, c'mon, darling,

"Not good. She has burns on 85% of her body, one full leg, and 8 fingers. The car caught on fire when it was hit." Lee looked back to Skylar. Richard nodded understanding and sat on the other side of the bed.

Let me steal this moment from you now.

"And Rory?" Richard threatened to ask. He had a feeling that he hoped wasn't correct.

C'mon, angel, c'mon, c'mon, darling,

"She's gone." Lee swallowed hard. Richard nodded again. A silence fell over them that was nearly unbearable.

Let's exchange the experience, oh...'

"Are you okay Lee?" Kim asked coming in the room. She didn't get an answer but Richard looked at her with a sadness that told the whole story.

And if I only could,
Make a deal with God,

Several hours later night was starting to fall over the city. The clock was nearing 8 and Lee whispered. "Time for bed Skip."

And get him to swap our places,

She was still comatose so there was no reply. Lee got up into the bed and lay down next to his daughter. Richard was asleep on the couch under the window.

Be running up that road,

"Your Mommy and Daddy love you a lot." Lee kissed her head. "Don't forget it."

Be running up that hill,

As he looked over Skylar's motionless body he hummed her favorite song to her. And as Lee hummed he could feel Skylar smiling even if her face wasn't showing it.

With no problems

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. The medicine go down, medicine go down. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way." Lee pushed locks of hair from her face and felt sleeping takin over him.

'If I only could, be running up that hill.'

As he fell asleep, his little girl breathed her last.
-----------------------------------------

Wow guys. Wow. If you'll excuse me I'll go drown in my tears.

I feel really evil so I'm going to go drink some evil tea and work on some more evil plans for other fics.