~ 11 ~

The moment Brian and I saw the car, the boys and even Alexis run to it with excitement. They ask what it is or what it does. The valley never had any cars or van even trucks for farming, everything in the valley is done old fashion way. They use a horse for transport, a push cart or pulled cart by a horse to help carry heavy stuff. For farming, they use their hands and farming tools.

“Settle down boys.” Brian said as he took open the boot of the car. “It’s open?” He asks no one in particular. He stuffs all the bags at the back before walking to the driver’s side. He saw the key in the ignition. “Come on everyone, we have a long drive before we get there.”

I waited for the boys to settle down before I help them put their seat belt on. They didn’t like it, of course. Claiming that the belt felt like it’s strangling them. Alexis however, put hers on obediently and I used this opportunity to show Alexis as a good child. This did they trick though. They stop complaining and bear with it just to rub to their sister that they too can be good kids.

I smile and hop in the passenger seat. Brian had already started the car and when he heard my seatbelt clicking into place, we drove off. The boys were so excited that they wouldn’t stop with the ‘awe’ and the ‘ooh’ as we drove passes scenery. Alexis is quiet but her eyes tell a different story as she takes in everything she sees.

We were soon in the highway and Gregg rolled down the window and sniffs the air before coughing badly and rolling up the window in a hurry. “It stinks!” he said grimly before letting out another cough. “It smells like smoke and this very strange scent. I never smell it before but it kind of familiar with the witches’ scent.”

“That’s the human scent.” I said as I looked outside the window in boredom.

“What’s a human mommy?” Gil asks as he tries to lean in as close as the seatbelt could let him.

“I’ll tell you later because it’s a very long story.” I said over my shoulder. Gregg, Gil and Alexis nod their heads in agreement before looking outside the window once again. The moon was very high in the sky when Alexis finally doze off. The boys had been asleep for an hour and half. “Do you want to swap so you can get some rest?” I offer after I saw Brian yawn at the corner of my eyes.

“That would be great.” He said yawning. He stops the car at the side and we quickly swap places. I been asleep for three hours and only woke up an hour and half ago. At the corner of my eyes, I saw Brian had already fallen asleep. I smile as how peaceful my kids and my mate sleep.

By the time Brian woke up, it was three in the morning. “Let’s swap.” He announces and I obeyed as a yawn escapes my mouth. “Go to sleep.” He said when he notices me fighting the sleep away. “I’ll wake you up when we’re there.”

I didn’t object as I close my eyes and sleep. When I open my eyes, I saw the house we left sixteen years ago in front of me. I heard a sigh of relief and notice it was Brian and I doing it. But the frown soon appeared on Brian’s face. I looked back to the house and notice what Brian is frowning about.

At the driveway, a car is parked neatly but what seems to baffle me more was the house itself. It was the same house but at the same time, it wasn’t. The curtains were close but the colour itself was different. I remember clearly that the curtain was pale blue and not pale pink. Not to mention we never owed an anything pink at our house except some clothes. There was a different scent around the house as well.

“Someone else lives at our house.” I said slightly angry and offended that they sold our house without our consent.

“There must be a good reason.” Brian said but even if he tries to hide it, I knew he was feeling the same way as I do.