Chapter 4

Lilly sat on the sidelines while Sean answered questions from the local police department. He was shaking and running his hands through his hair so much it was standing on end, he had adjusted his glasses so much they were slanted on his face but he didn't seem to be bothering with it.

Lilly couldn't keep her eyes off the claw marks on the wall, it was as though Freddy Kruger had broken into Willow Creek Books and slashed the place just for fun. What the hell happened and how come she saw it?

The only explanation she could think was she slept walked down into the store, saw the robbery and went back to bed. Sometime later she must have woken up and thought she dreamt the whole thing. That had to be the answer.

Outside many people were crowding around trying to see what was going on, many of them looked relieved when they saw Sean talking to the police officers, Lilly had even heard one of the cops say people were asking after him to make sure he wasn't hurt. The others must not have known someone else was staying in the building at the moment because none of them seemed to be asking about Lilly.

"And you did not hear anything miss?" The officer asked he sat down beside her, taking off his hat and waving it in front of his face.

She shook her head slowly, "No, no I slept through the whole night." She lied. Her eyes were still on the claw marks, seriously what the hell was that?

"Our best guess is some out of towner is playing a prank on you. Think nothing of it my dear." He must have seen her gaze to the wall trying to offer comfort but she could tell from his tone, he had no clue what the hell made those marks.

Finally when the commotion of the police was gone, and one of the neighbours took Sean across the street for coffee, Lilly went to the bookshelf in question to see what she already knew, Norah's Journal was gone, and in its place was another set of claw marks, these one's stained with blood.

Her stomach rolled, she felt as though she was going to be sick but she knew exactly who had done this. Now all she needed to do was find them. Quickly running upstairs and pulling on some clothes, she took the back exit of the apartment that lead to a balcony overlooking a small fenced in dirt yard.

Down the creaking stairs, she left through the gate leading to the alley where she and Sean parked their cars. She was going to find Hailey and Jake and tear them a new one for breaking into the store. The only problem was she had no idea where she would find either of them.

As she drove around she searched the streets, people were going about their business as usual, she could see many groups of them in circles probably discussing the strange break in where nothing was taken.

Lilly could barely fine her way around the town, how was she going to find two people she knew nothing about to start looking? She drove up and down the main roads, ventured into the residential area and for a moment was struck in awe at the size of the Victorian houses all of which had high end cars parked outside of them.

Turning back onto the main road she saw a diner where a lot of young people were hanging out, she thought it was the best place to begin her search. Pulling into the parking lot she looked around hoping they would be there. And of course that was not the case.

Walking in she got looks from the towns people, clearly she was an unwelcomed outsider. The bar was empty so she took a seat and the cook turned to talk to her, "Whatcha want?"

"Information." She said slyly, playing detective actually was fun, "I am looking for two people, Hailey Covers and Jake Thompson."

The cook frowned, "What has Hailey done now?"

"Nothing I met them yesterday, they were fun and I want to see them again." They always lied on cop shows when they want to talk to a suspect, bring them out with thinking nothing was wrong.