Solstice: Chapter 18

As Lilly fought the force that was pulling her closer to the bottom of the lake all she could think about was what was happening to her friends on the surface. All she could think about was Lincoln Palmer coming out of the bushes and throwing her body into the cold lake, sinking Lilly to her death.

She thrashed and kicked, she hated this feeling of helplessness. This wasn't the first time she was going to drown in black lake. Norah held her under the water once, forgetting about her affinity. Lilly calmed her body as best she could. She needed to control the water, she needed the waves to throw her back to the surface.

Letting out her breath, she had only seconds before darkness overtook her. These waves were so dark, so heavy and so cold. Her entire body was shaking, her vision was going dark. The waters around her started swirling, a shadow swam in front of her.

Trying to stay awake now, ignoring the shadow Lilly felt pressure under her feet. More and more she felt power building around her. Finally, slowly her body was moving back towards the circus, just not fast enough.

With one last scream that would go unheard she used every inch of her strength to propel herself to the surface but it was too late. Her eyes grew dark as she felt her body jerk violently.

She was floating, looking down at the lake. Lilly looked around, was she dead? No? She couldn't be dead? Except how was she twenty feet above the trees? How was she watching Sage fighting off Lincoln Palmer? How could she see Jake hovering over her body while Ace was running across the beach to help Sage?

How could she see a huge man with black hair wearing a dark overcoat and a bowler hat standing next to Jake? How could she see Raiden?

She dove towards the waters, crashing into Raiden. The man was solid, not an invisible spirit like he had been since coming back to Willow Creek. He jumped to his feet, frantically looked around until he saw Lilly hovering next to him. He smiled "You're the water controller."

"When did you figure that out? When I was holding onto the water or when I controlled it to throw me out of the lake?"

He smiled and looked over his shoulder to her body, "Not fast enough."

Yeah she was dead but now was not the time to focus on that. "I am going to stop you."

He laughed, throwing his head of dark locks back. "You think you can stop me? A little girl, stopping me? I have a power, an affinity you couldn't imagine to understand. I can control much more than the air, the earth, the fire and the waters."

Lilly rolled her eyes, "I don't care if you can control god damn God, I am taking you down. You will not kill my friends." She didn't know how else to do it, she lunged at him knocking him off his feet again.

The tumbled down the beach, she landed a few punches on the ghost but with his size, Raiden quickly gained the upper hand. He threw her off his body, she crashed into the trunk of a tree and goddamn it hurt. She rolled on the ground, pushing herself up only to get hit again.

She grabbed hold of the lake while she was down, the waves weren't pulling her in this time. Raiden was no longer in sight, she had the dark waves ready. She saw him, in the darkness of the trees. She looked in another direction as to throw him off.

There was a pain in her chest, she felt her feet being dragged through the sand again. No, no, no! She wasn't going back under the waves! She was already dead, what was happening? Another lurch, more pain in her chest. She was out of time.

With a thrust of power the waves wheeled around her and struck down Raiden. Faintly she heard a pained yell, but it wasn't coming from the man in the bushes. She ignored the yell. The waves were crashing around Raiden, he laughed and threw them off of him, knocking Lilly on her ass.