Chapter 21

Her feet felt like they had weights attached to them, no matter how hard Lilly tried she could not run fast enough to help Mason. With Jake right on her heels they ran into the woods following Mason’s screams.

“Mason we’re coming!” She yelled back, hoping he heard her, hoping that maybe her voice could comfort him if these moments were to be his last. Lilly felt hot tears roll down her cheeks, the salt in her tears clouding her eyes.

Her foot caught on a root and she thudded to the ground, scraping the palms of her hands on a rock. Jake’s hands were gentle as her grabbed her by the waist and hoisted her to her feet. Lilly kicked back into action dashing up a muddy hill following the trail of blood drops.

As she reached the top of the hill she could hear Mason more clearly but he was still too far and the woods too dark to be seen. “Run Lilly, run!” He called out before he yelled again before the night sky fell silent.

Before she could start racing down the hill Jake’s arms were wrapped around her waist, holding her to his chest. Lilly tried to fight him but it was no use, he was surprisingly strong for someone who always seemed so scrawny. “Lilly it’s no use he’s gone!” Jake said as he elbow hit him in the stomach. Jake flinched and groaned but he didn’t let go. “This is bigger than all of us! We need help to get Mason back!”

Lilly shook her head and tried to kick at Jake but it didn’t loosen his grip, “No! No if we wait they’ll get away! They’ll get away and we won’t see him!” She cried, she really couldn’t see the tears were so constant, her eyes were burning.

Finally she collapsed and Jake helped her down to the ground. Lilly sat in the dirt and rocked as she cried. She let Mason down she let him get taken by the hooded creatures. This was all her fault. Jake’s body plopped down beside her and he put his arm around her shoulders, like the way Mason always did but it didn’t feel the same as when Mason held her. “Lilly we don’t know what to do, we don’t know if they’re taking him somewhere or they have killed him. We need help, we need adults.”

What good with the adults do? Did they really know more than the Coven? From what Lilly knew of the other members families is that Sage’s parents use their powers to gain powers, Jake’s parents no longer practice and Darcy’s parents were powerful but away for the summer. The adults they were left with would be no help to them. The only people who could help them was...

“Cleo!” Lilly jumped up, knocking into Jake as she did it. “Cleo would know what to do, right? She’s been around for so long she would have to have some sort of run in with whatever those things are!”

Jake nodded his head and followed Lilly back out of the forest, though she hated the idea of leaving Mason in the woods with the creatures, and she hated that he was hurt and maybe dying the only way she could help him was by finding Cleo.

They ran back to Sage’s house, which was a mess. The windows were blown out, the walls were burned and water damaged. The furniture, the photos, the kitchen everything was destroyed. Sage was wandering around picking things up and tossing them back on the ground, her hand still clutched to her chest. When she heard the other two come in her head perked up, “Did you find him?” Her eyes were wide open with panic.

Lilly stifled a cry but it was Jake who answered, “No, we lost them in the woods.” Sage’s face dropped at the news, her eyes filled with tears. She cared that much about Mason? Every time Lilly had seen her with her cousin they were arguing with each other, she had never heard them say anything nice about each other.

“And you just let him go?” She whispered, her eyes lifted and landed on Lilly and her face contorted with anger. “They were after you!” She screamed, “Those...things had never been here until you came! You brought them! If something happens to him it’s your fault!”