Solstice: Chapter 2

Sean's jaw dropped as Darcy dropped her phone onto the counter. Lilly was watching her friends, both looked like they had seen a ghost. Did they know Lincoln Palmer or was it The Authority that spooked them? She had no idea what either meant, who this Lincoln guy was and why the others would be so shocked.

Lincoln smiled and gently put his briefcase on the ground. "Did something I say frighten you?" He asked innocently as he looked around the store, smiling. "This is a quaint little place you own here. Lots of books, lots of...secrets.

Secrets? What kind of secrets? She didn't have secrets and Sean certainly had nothing to hide. Then the answer his Lilly, there were more than just novels and fun tales in the store. There were books on herbs, plants, and the history of witches, and that was only the inventory of the front of the store.

Sean kept a supply of books sold to the Essex family over the years, books with spells, hexes, potions and everything else to do with powers and covens.

Lincoln reached down to the briefcase, opening it and pulled out some papers. He handed them to Lilly. The first thing she noticed was a symbol on the corner of the page, a tree surrounded by a circle. Strange.

Her eyes moved down the page, quickly scanning the message. None of it made sense to her, the beginning was a bunch of titles followed by junctions and decrees. It was all Coven related mixed in with legal mumbo jumbo. She didn't understand a word of it. She frowned and past the page to Sean.

While he was reading, Lincoln started to explain, "It seems there's been some trouble in this area in the last year, too many deaths to ignore." He was referencing the murders as Hawthorne Academy.

Sean was frowning now as his eyes scanned down the note. When he was done he handed the page to Darcy who did the same thing. When she was done her mouth dropped and she grabbed on to Sean's arm. Unmistakable now, she was afraid.

"The Authority doesn't exist." Sean said finally, crossing his arms over his chest.

Lincoln chuckled, "If they don't exist, who the hell sent me here?"

"Your imagination maybe?" Sean was getting angry, something that rarely happened. The man was usually calm tempered and laid back, but since coming back from California a new man this New, New Sean was a balanced mix of Old Sean and New Sean.

Old Sean was calm, awkward always avoiding the confrontation while New Sean jumped at the chance of confrontation and being outgoing. New, New Sean was friendly calm Sean mixed with outgoing and confident. Lilly was thankful when he found the balance, for his sake and for Darcy's.

Lincoln adjusted his coat, "Say what you will, I have been sent by the Authority to keep an eye on this Coven, you seem to attract trouble. Believe me if you will, I am sure if you use your connections," his eyes darted to Lilly quickly, "You can learn that I do work for the Authority."

"So you're here to replace Cleo?" Darcy asked, a quiver in her voice.

Lincoln laughed, "No that woman has no affiliation with the Authority. She works free lance and intervenes in situations in her own way. Trust me, she will be hearing from me soon enough with her involvement."

Lilly was beginning to get annoyed. This man has shown up and thrown the Authority in their faces with only a slip of paper and no explanation of why this possibly made up organization would send him to Willow Creek. "So are you here to annoy us or do you actually have something to say?" She blurted out. She swore she heard Darcy make a small yelping noise, was her outburst too rude?

Lincoln's eyes turned back to her, "Everything I am here for is explained in that letter from the Coven Master. I am sure Norah's little apprentice can explain everything to you." He picked up his briefcase and nodded, "I am off, but my number is attached to that page along with my address. I am living in the old Essex mansion, in case you want to find me." With a final nod Lincoln turned on his heel and walked out of the store.