Chapter 10

The suns gorgeous morning rays were leaking through the dirty log cabin windows, the walls yellow and white with its light. Lilly was already up and making their night less obvious to whoever was going to be in the cabin next.

Before Mason had opened his eyes she had grabbed the couch cover and wrapped the sofa back up with it, she had wiped up their muddy footprints and hand smudges she had even swept the floor. Meanwhile Mason was still lying on the bed pretending to be asleep. He thought he was being sly but she saw him crack open his eyes and watch her clean.

Though he had a good excuse not to move, not that he really could, Lilly still wished he made an attempt to get himself out of the bed. When she finished cleaning and finally flopped down onto the couch, he opened his eyes and acted as though he had just woken up. “Looks like you’ve cleaned in here.” He mumbled as he looked around the cabin. Ass.

“Thought it would be nice for the next people.” Really? How dumb did he think she was? “Ready to go?”

He nodded his head once and took several deep breaths before doing a push up on the bed, his back straight the entire time. When he tried to bring his knees down to straighten his back arched slightly and he dropped back to the bed.

He tried several more times to get himself out of the bed, pushing himself up and moving his knees under his chest. It never worked. Lilly even tried to help him, at first his pride would not let her but as he got more frustrated he accepted. Finally they had both given up and he was stuck lying in the log cabin.

“Well this sucks.” His muttered voice flickered across the room.

Lilly smiled and walked over to him, taking a seat on the bed. She had already applied more aloe to his back but he was still obviously in pain. “So this was some sort of hex right?”

He nodded, “Yeah, a good one too which doesn’t make sense.” There he went again, what the hell did he mean by a good hex? Clearly he saw the question in her eyes and continued, “A hex from the Book of Hearts. Sage uses it all the time in the winter to tan.”

So the spell creepy guy used was from the book of hearts? How did that make sense? The guy had talons for fingers and looked like Death, why would it not use a spell from the Book of Souls? Also how did Sage use the hex or whatever it was to get a tan if it caused Mason to burn like an overcooked steak?

Then the thought clicked in, “When Sage uses the spell does she ever burn herself?”

He frowned and nodded his head slowly, “Once, Darcy was too close when she casted the spell? Why are you asking?”

Oh it was nice to be the one explaining something slowly to someone in this town, and about their special little powers too. “She probably knows how to cure it. Why don’t I go get her and she can help you?”

Mason shrugged his shoulders, though he winced and bit his lower lip. “Yeah sure. This is the Harvenger’s Hunting Cabin, the main road is just ahead. Follow that ‘till the end, take a right and go straight you’ll be in Willow Creek in ten minutes.”

Seriously? They were so damn close to the town and Cleo met them and made them stop for the night? Lilly really didn’t like the woods, she didn’t like that something could be out there, watching, and she would not be able to see it or know it was there. And low and behold! There was something out there and it had been watching her. Her horror movie was coming to life.

She told Mason she would be back quickly and darted to her car, hoping both of them wouldn’t run into the hooded man. The roads were still muddy from the rain, she was careful to stay in the middle to avoid holes puddles.