Equinox: Chapter 16

For a moment it was like everything had stopped moving, including time. Hailey was staring at the red mess that covered Lilly from head to foot while he mouth quievered at though she were about to vomit. Lilly stared back at her friend and roommate preparing the lies to cover her ass.

                "This?" She motioned to herself frantically, "No, no, no...no. No this is not blood. No, no this is paint! Red paint! Red costume blood paint, you were drunk last night I became dead Gaga by the end of the night." Hailey hadn't stopped her, hadn't said anything about her story being a lie. Lilly didn't know if it was because the other girl believed her or because she was in shock.

                Finally though Hailey opened her mouth, her voice still a whisper. "It's not paint." She gulped and held herself, the blood had drained from her face. "It's blood."

                Lilly felt tears run down her face, the shock of the situation had settled but now she was living the nightmare all over again. Who was dead this time? She slowly got out of bed and went into the bathroom, Hailey stepped out of her way quickly to avoid getting bloody, or because she was afraid Lilly really didn't know.

                Inside the bathroom she was looking at a familiar sight. Her blood hair was died red, blood splatter covered her pyjamas and revealed skin. Her hands were a dark red as though she had gone to sleep without even bothering to wash away the evidence. She turned to Hailey, tears streaking the red that covered her face. "Hailey, something's happening to me and I don't know what."

                Hailey stayed back with her arms still hugging her chest. As fearful as Lilly felt was as fearful as Hailey looked. Lilly couldn't stand that her friend was looking at her with such fear in her eyes, as though she was about to run out of the room screaming bloody murder.

                Lilly broke down in manic sobs and sunk to the bathroom floor. How could this be happening again? Why did she keep waking up covered in blood and who had died this time? She was still not over the shock of Vince, who could get over something like that? His heart was ripped from his chest and he was left outside for someone to find his mangled body.

                A dark figure crouched down beside her, and through the tears Lilly could see Hailey sitting right in front of her. The other girl used a tissue to wipe away the tears streaking her face while she made comforting sounds and repeated it's going to be ok.

                Lilly sniffed and smiled at her friend, "I don't know how this could have happened." Her breathing was heavy and ragged from how hard she was crying, "I was in my bed. I remember going to sleep!"

                "But you didn't stay in bed." Hailey said softly, "Lilly I woke up at four to get some water, you weren't in bed. You weren't in the room. I thought you went to Ace's or something but..." She trailed off and sighed. Meanwhile in the bedroom both of their phones were constantly going off, the school was waking up to another bloody murder.

                Hailey sighed and looked back at the bloody mess in the room, "You get cleaned up. I'll deal with the sheets." Lilly nodded and showered for a long time, washing away everything that was on her. She had to go to the police, the FBI anyone and confess. No one else had to die because she was a closeted psychopath.

                When she stepped out of the shower Hailey had laid out a bathrobe for her, Lilly put it on and joined the other girl in the bedroom. Hailey was sitting on her bed, her cell phone beside her with tear marks rolling down her face. When she saw Lilly she motioned towards the bed. "I stuffed the sheets in my backpack, we're going to have to destroy them."