Equinox: Chapter 18

Lilly was shivering, miserable, angry and pretty much ready to commit murder over an hour into her training with Mason. It was their second lesson together and Mason was less than a perfect teacher. He became frustrated easily, blaming all the learning problems on Lilly, who was having a hard enough time picking up on using the air affinity without Mason yelling at her.

They had snuck out of the school after midnight to go down by the pond, which looked miserable in the late November night as all the leaves had fallen from the trees and the starless sky was bleak at best.

Lilly lost in thought heard Mason speaking to her but didn't give any response, she was too tired to care anymore, too cold to want more air blown at her, and too pissed off to even want to look at Mason.

"Lilly." She finally clued into what he was saying, "Have you been listening for the last four minutes?"

"No."

He groaned and rubbed his eyes, "What's the point of doing this if you're not even listening. I am only trying to help-"

"Because Sage is making you."

"-because no one wants you giving away Coven secrets. And yes because Sage is making me." He said the last part in a mocking tone. Lilly ignored him and threw back both her shoulders ready to try and control the air. She had yet to be successful but she really wanted to show Mason up. "Do you remember what you have to do?"

She nodded once. Mason had told her to control the air you have to let the cold winds of it feel like it was about to lift you off the ground, when you had a firm grasp she would feel it swirling around her and then she would be able to release what she wanted. She thought back to the day in the woods when Mason had taken all the air from around her and she felt herself choking to death. She wanted to do that to him, though she already almost drowned him.

He was speaking again but she wasn't listening. She was concentrating on the air flowing around her, trying to let the winds almost pick her off her feet. She thought more and more of what she was suppose to be feeling but soon her body became tired and her head felt too light. She dropped her shoulders and let out a long breath. "I can't do this." She muttered, not looking at Mason in her moment of defeat. "Can we do this another night?"

Mason pulled his phone out of his pocket and nodded his head, "Fine. The sooner you pick this up the sooner we can stop being out here with some psychopath who's killing and taking body parts."

Lilly felt the bile in her stomach rise as her dinner was threatening to make a reappearance. They had finally found out what happened to Blake, he had also had a body part taken but it was not his heart. His lungs were cut out from his body, Sage seemed to think while he was alive.

Lilly began coughing and ran to the pond where she emptied her stomach into the freezing waters. She shouldn't have listening to Hailey, she should have turned herself in but her clever friend had been doing research into the murders, from a witches perspective, and though there was nothing conclusive Hailey said nothing good could come out of organ harvesting.

She heard footsteps behind her and Mason stood next to her. "What's wrong with you? Why are you throwing up?" He sounded as disgusted as she felt.

She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and sighed, "I guess I'm getting sick." She didn't want to look at him after throwing up. She was so pale that whenever she did her face became covered in red dots, her cheeks flushed and her eyes became bloodshot. Though no one looked particularily well after puking, she looked more so like a zombie than most people.

Mason laughed, "Sucks to get sick two days before Thanksgiving." Though he complained about her being disgusting and said he should leave her alone to puke he did wait for her to finish while he played games on his phone. They walked back up to the school, which looked like a haunted castle from the driveway.