Equinox: Chapter 15

As Lilly looked over the menu her eyes slowly looked over the top of the book to her company looking just as confused as she did. Ace had taken her to a new restaurant that opened not far from the school but the prices were way off her budget for the evening, not to mention everything had some kind of French word in it.

Ace frowned and dropped his menu on the table, "I feel super pretentious for bringing you here." He sighed and looked around, "I knew when we walked in and every single person dining was old we would run into problems."

She shrugged and kept looking through the menu. "What do you want to do then? Leave? Stay? Demand they make us a burger?"

Ace smiled and stood up beckoning her to follow. Awkwardly she placed her glass, which she was about to take a drink from, down and followed him out the front door. The late October air was harsh against her bare shoulders. Quickly she pulled her thing sweater over herself, she didn't have a nice enough coat to wear out that evening.

Ace pulled his car up to the curb and she climbed in, the leather seats already heating. "The moment you said burger all I wanted was a whopper." He turned to her and smiled, "Or Big Mac your call."

Seeing as she was starving they agreed on the first fast food joint they could find, which ended up being a Wendy's but whatever. They ordered their food, Ace kept his word and the meal was on her dollar and he ordered a lot of food. Once they were sitting he unbuttoned his shirt and loosened his tie. When he bit into the burger he let out a noise of pure ambrosia. "Now this is a meal. Thanks."

Lilly nodded and bit her fry, "You really know how to show a girl a good time." She opened the packs of mayo on her tray and mixed it with her ketchup. Ace had stopped eating and she looked up to see him watching her with a cocked eyebrow. "What?"

"Mayo and ketchup?"

"You've never had it?"

"No...no I like normal things."

She rolled her eyes and dunked one of her fries into the mixture and held it out to him. "Don't mock it until you try it." He wouldn't take it but she insisted. "Did you know in Europe they dunk fries into straight mayo? This is tame and almost as delicious compared to that."

He opened his mouth to protest but at her raised eyebrow he sighed and plopped the now soggy fry into his mouth. "Not bad. Plain ketchup always trumps other sauces." He laughed and grabbed his own fries, "I still load my grilled cheese, eggs, fries, burgers everything with ketchup."

"So you never grew up?"

He shrugged, "Does anyone ever really grow up? I mean Saturday mornings I still get up and watch cartoons, I still read all the novels from my childhood and watch all the movies." He smiled innocently, "I'm sure you still listen to Nsync."

Lilly laughed, "No I listen to the Backstreet Boys." At his frown she sighed, "Ok and Nsync, Otown, New Kids, Aqua sue me I'm a teenage girl." He laughed and took another bite out of his triple patty burger. "So I know you're from Salem but you haven't really told me anything outside of that."

He shrugged, "What do you want to know?"

"Well your family, who's in it?"

"Dad, step mom, step sister, half brother and Helga the den mother. She is amazing her cooking, her stories, she is so warm and lovely. If she didn't raise me from infancy I am pretty sure I would try to marry her."

Lilly laughed, "Alright so you love Helga. What about your family."

He shrugged again, "My dad's always working, he's high in the government. Um Sarah, my step sister, goes to Harvard studying law. Joey, my brother is sixteen months so he's a bit of an under achiever." He laughed for a moment before going solemn, "That's about it. Nothing special really."