Equinox: Chapter 3

Never did she think that her first few moments in the school would be this awkward. She hadn’t even had time to look around get as comfortable as she could or meet someone, anyone, who wasn’t a member of her Coven.

Alas she was staring awkwardly at Jake and Hailey who were staring just as awkwardly back. Someone needed to break the silence, Lilly racked through her brain thinking for something witty, sly or at this point a single word to say to the two of them but came up empty handed.

Jake and Hailey seemed to be having the same trouble. Hailey was doing what Lilly thought she would be, glaring. Jake scratched his head and bit his lip, trying not to smile? So this is how much they hated her now for what she put their Coven through. This was going to be a long year sharing the room with Hailey.

She needed to end this silence. This horribly loud silence. Lilly cleared her throat and mustered up the only smile she could, which probably looked like more of a sneer. “Hi.” Ah the fantastic ice breaker of a simple ‘hi.’ That will defiantly get their attention. Lilly’s mind wandered to the open window and wondered if the three story drop would kill her.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Hailey finally replied, her voice was flat with no emotion. Lilly couldn’t process if she was happy or not with her rooming accommodation. Maybe if this didn’t work out she could talk to Tate about switching, or begging her parents to let her come home, or running away to join the circus. She did have an act, moving water and bending the elements could attract people.

“You go here?” Jake questioned his intelligent eyes narrowing. “Here?” He repeated again. Lilly nodded her head once. Jake didn’t look too different from two months ago. His light brown hair was a little shorter and he was more tanned from a summer spent at the Willow Creek lakes, most likely the eerie Black Lake where the waves never moved from a Hex centuries old. His brown eyes were still covered from his signature ray bands but Lilly was sure under the dark shades there was the warmth that he had always shown her.

She shrugged and shifted her foot under her butt, “Yeah it surprised me too...I got accepted from bloodlines apparently.”

“Well no duh!” Hailey’s harsh tone was back, the girl was pissed, “You’re a freaking Essex! I am pretty sure one of you have been at this school since its creation. All the Coven goes here based on bloodlines, even rich Sage and Mason.” The mention of his name made Lilly’s heart pang. “Even they couldn’t afford this area without the bloodline scholarship.”

Lilly nodded her head slowly, “So everyone will be here?”

Hailey laughed, humourlessly, and looked to Jake, “Yeah.” He replied shortly, “You are in for a very different school year.” Hailey sneered again before grabbing Jake by the sleeve and pulling him out of the room. Lilly assumed she was taking him somewhere where they could talk, more like she was going to yell at him, in private.

God her first fifteen minutes had gone terribly, and she had only run into Jake and Hailey. They had really been her only friends in Willow Creek, not spending much time with Sage and Darcy. Sean was her cousin and they liked each other enough but he wasn’t here so he couldn’t be a social life line. Mason was out of the question...

Sighing she threw herself down on the mattress and stared at the white ceiling. God even the bedroom ceilings were lovely with intricate designs moulded into the plaster and a lovely small chandelier hanging from it. Whoever this Hawthorne guy was whenever he built this mansion was loaded. Part of her wanted to forget about the Coven and wander around the grounds, go down to the lake and be one with her thoughts but it occurred to her that the only thought going through her head was Mason so spending quality time with her guilt may make her go into the water and never come out.