Facing What Used To Be

**All characters in the Harry Potter series go to J. K. Rowling. Madeline, Madeline ll, Arabella and Toby are mine! :)**

Facing What Used To Be-

Maddie's pov

"Have a great summer you guys! I'll see you next year!" I called out to the Fifth-years who happily said goodbye to me. As you can guess, it is the last day of school! And being an alumni of Hogwarts, I would know what it's like to receive homework during the summer, so being who I am, none of my students have homework!

"We'll see you next year!" They called back. I wonder how Arabella liked her first year at Hogwarts.. it was quite eventful..

"Mum! Mum! Where are you?" Speaking of Arabella.

"I'm in my office dear!" I called. A few minutes later, Arabella showed up with her trunk in tow. She had a grin plastered on her face as she put her wand in her pocket.

"Hey mum, are you coming down to the station?" She asked as she propped her trunk against the wall. I closed one of my trunks with a flick of my wand and turned to her.

"I'll walk you down to the station, but I have to stay to finish some things. I'll be home for dinner though." I replied. Her grin fell a little, but then she suddenly reached for something in her pocket.

"I got a letter from Uncle Harry. Him and Aunt Ginny are picking me up." She said. I froze a little. Why wasn't Fred picking up his own daughter. "Guess dad's busy at the shop." She said.

"I guess he is.. hey why don't you start heading to the Great Hall, I'll meet you there and then we can walk down together, ok?" She nodded and left with her trunk. When I knew she was out of range, I pulled out a piece of parchments and took my wand and pointed it at the paper.

"We need to talk. -Maddie" Was burned into the parchment. I used a Hogwarts owl and sent it to Fred.. I honestly cannot figure out if we were ok. We barely talk, and I can't get in the same room as Fred without feeling the awkwardness. This is definitely not how I imagined our life to be.

***************************

"Have a safe trip back, don't eat too much sweets, be good to Harry and Ginny, and I'll see you at home." I said to Arabella. I gave her a hug and she boarded the train. Toby followed her.

" 'Ello Madeline! What 'er you doin' 'ere?" A booming voice asked. I turned to Hagrid and in the distance the train rolled out of sight.

"I just needed some more time here alone. Hogwarts is my home, really." I replied. He gave me a crooked grin and then his face lit up.

"Well, tell yer what. Come' by later' fer a cup o' tea." He suggested. I gave him a smile and then orbed back to my office where I finished packing.

*****************

"Hagrid! May I come in?" I asked through the door.

"Yes! The door 's open!" Harid's deep voice sounded. I went through the door and saw Hagrid sippin tea and petting old Fang. "How 'er you doin' Madeline?" I gave out a heavy sigh and locked eyes with him.

"I'm doing alright Hagrid.. Just some family issues really." He choked up a little and set down his cup of tea.

"What do you mean? Aren't you an' Fred doin' well?"

"That's the thing Hagrid! I haven't a clue whether or not we're ok. We got in a fight a couple months ago and I haven't heard from him since."

"What're you two fightin about?"

I scratched the back of my head and then examined my pale hand. "Ok, well what you have to understand is that since I am this 'special species' of witch, I'm not allowed to move on. That's the problem. I want to move on, I hate it here on earth. I just want to leave it. Now, Fred thinks that it's all his fault, and he's pretty much saying 'why did I have to die?' I know Fred loves me as much as I love him, but I'm afraid he's going to do something horrible for the sake of my happiness." I finished.