39. Flame and shadows

It was a mix of darkness, fire and bright blonde that flashed with every step, shove, strike and stab we took. My breathing was rapid and my lungs ached. The woman was insanely fast and skilled. The fight felt like a deadly dance of avoiding strikes and coordinating strikes in return.

A viper and a wolf.

Except she was the viper, and she would be too fast in order for the dark wolf to avoid the fangs being struck into its flesh

With each fluid step she was coming closer and closer to the safe zone of space I had tried to maintain from her sharp weapon.

I wielded the fire in my blades to burn stronger and fiercer. Her eyes were cold and ruthless and I could only imagine what my own eyes held.

She landed a hard elbow onto my jaw. Nearly knocking the sense of sight and hearing right out of me.

The prince was out of the tent, nowhere to he spotted and it relieved me. I could concentrate even better without him around and needing to protect him.

Resorting to defense and then back to offense was what my body responded with. The shadows around my mind seemed to dance in a numb state. Sensing all the pain this woman had gone through in her life. It was as if she saw something in my own eyes while fighting to the death that made her eyes soften for the pain she seemed to spot in mine. And in a swift moment that look was gone and replaced with harder hits and more fluid movements.

"Your fighting is good. But not good enough." the woman acknowledged before running headfirst and jumping onto me.

I fell out the tent with her on top. My breath immediately being knocked out of me from the shocked weight of her and pain from the hard ground. In a moment of quick panic I crossed my arms with my fire blades across my chest in an "X" to prevent her from sinking her blade into my chest. I let the blade burn the most it has ever burned and the woman smirked when she saw the shock I held.

"It wasn't burning her."

The flames didn't harm an inch of her. No charred burning flesh.

The woman gripped both my fire blades and sunk her hands into them to pull them apart from me. Her blood...- green and dripping onto the fire blades.

"Witch." I spat and struggled beneath her. I panted hard while she began turning the pointed blades of fire into my own chest.

I grit my teeth and tried to resist with all my might. Holding onto thr hilts of the blades tighter.

"You are death." the shadows in me commanded.

I calmed my breathing and stared the witch in her damned eyes. Shadow hands circled us and gripped the blades. Helping me turn it towards her. It kissed the thick black leathers of her jacket and began sinking in.

I grunted and shoved down harder, watching the green blood begin to seep out.

She snarled at me and pulled away from me.

I spat out the red metallic taste of blood on the ground.

I kneeled on one knee and breathed heavily. Catching as much of my breath as I possibly could.

"Archers! On your mark!" the command from a distance came from the prince.

"Apollon blood will be spilled. And not even you will be able to prevent it." the woman held her bleeding palm to her bleeding chest.

"They have all of the lands as allies by their side." I answered as a threat and finally stood up. Staring her down- watching her every shift in move.

"You are fighting for the wrong side." the woman cocked her head to the side and looked at me in what seemed was amusement. She was trying to figure me out. "The next time I see you- if you are fighting alongside them. I vow to kill you."

I controlled my facial expression and refused the urge to say that none of this was my choice.

"There wont be a next time." I gripped the blade in my hand tighter. The woman chuckled and the sudden loud shouts from soldiers erupted, a mere second distraction. One moment she was there. Now.. she was gone.

She had escaped.

And that only meant the chances of me seeing her again were even stronger now.

The thought didn't sit well with me and made my body ache more with the injuries I had attained.