Prologue: The Caw of a Crow

They say that to understand the world, you must see through what is good and what is evil. You must understand the battle between life and death. The battle between Light and Darkness. This is the story of how I came to understand this certain aspect of life. The story where I've learnt no one bad is truly bad...and no one good is truly good. The same story... where shadows become truth-tellers. Where light becomes a harness for lies. This is the story where love.. No matter the kind.. Is the caliber of power, which holds us all as one. The story of how I made my very own understanding of the world. 

For as I have experienced for myself and now say.. "Light is not always a symbol for good and Darkness is not always a symbol for evil."

Father once told me that to seek refuge from anxiety, strain and hurt, you must first seek darkness

It caresses your heart with comfort and brings peaceful tranquility.

I never would have guessed that all of that would have changed tonight.

Dark and deadly- yet beautiful tendrils of darkness loomed everywhere, eating and disintegrating everything in its path. Anything that came in contact with it turned to smoke, becoming one with the dark. The ashes fueling its power. The people whom it consumed were not stupid enough to run to it or come in its path.

They ran- some flew yet fleeing seemed futile. The darkness enjoyed the hunt.. the game of being able to catch innocent souls.

The darkness didn't always have to catch, sometimes if one were to look long enough at it, frozen in complete terror as if time had stopped... they would eventually become entranced and simply walk into its opening. Call it suicide commanded by darkness itself. 

The monstrosity burned..it caught onto trees and houses like a burning flame, its smoke almost poisonous. The darkness was deafening, as if it was roaring in pleasure, so immensely pleased and excited to be free.. to finally be let out of its prison...

There were shrill terrified screams and war cries that surrounded this great expanse of land, making my sensitive ears ring in so pain and unfortunately, covering my ears would not help at all. 

Where were mama and papa...? It was all my fault. I let the darkness out... I tried to fight against it... but I simply could not...

Where was Araysh..?

My brother..

He had always wanted to fight side by side with the legion of the Night.

Where was he ... ?

He would help me...

He has to... He always does... 

I coughed and wheezed when the burning shadow smoke entered my lungs, covering and blanketing my organ with toxins.

I was getting tired- sickeningly weak and my magic was too unpredictable. My knees couldn't help but buckle and fall to the hard stone ground. I would have winced but the nausea from my anxious heart and the dizziness from my lack of air swept over my body like humidity.