10. The fallen angel of Celast

Miriam's tonic had been slowly working- Especially considering I had just had one of the longest training hours since first light and had gotten no sleep.

I rubbed off some of the muck on my face with a sleeve and untied my muddy boots.

There were still some sores and wounds on my body that achingly took long to heal, but I didn't have enough time left to rest or tend to it.

Whenever in Merlanis, I always made sure to see them..

Always days before the performance, it was a need to see them- The only way I'd be able to plague my thoughts with good memories and let some anxiety leave.

It had surprised me how good it finally felt to be cleaned from the muck and be clothed comfortably

The loose dress I had worn would work for now, as the towns folk were not used to seeing women wearing tight leather gear or even wearing pants of that matter.

The velvety red cloak I had adorned worked well to conceal my hair that was put into a tight bun.

A glittering light caught onto my skin as I took a step closer to the fountain that poured water through a magnificent statue- its wings now Stained with a few black spots of mold and the stone beginning to crack. As old as the statue is, you could still make out the handsome sculpted face it had. The statue had a powerful look to it- with the water traveling it's way down his shoulders to his chest and then to the bottom, where it made a small pool of sparkling water. I had seen the statue plenty of times now, yet I could never get enough time admiring it.

The blueberries were blossoming this season.

The main bakery in the city of Celast made it known- as the baked smell of the berries wafted in the air. The smell slowly started to subside as I made my way down the ally, down to the path where lesser nobles resided, where fishermen visited taverns and where the old creaky inns were cheap.

I patted down the cream lace bodice of my dress as I pushed open the doors of Madam de Trix's well-known establishment.

There was no reason to scrunch up my nose in disgust as I had become used to the odor of sweat, liquor and smoke that clung to the customers and walls of this place.

I had almost snarled when a man came near and looked my way- luckily for him, he was whisked away by a sultry plump woman.

A faint whisper in the darkest part of my mind raked a shadowed claw through the mental shields that I had built up.

I had been lucky- So very lucky to have been found by Fala and raised by her when I was a child. A child whom is orphaned and lost can either end up in two places.

If they are not handsome and lack pleasant features. They are sent for guard training or to join the army.

If they have good enough skill and seem handsome enough, they are found by brothel owners and are taken care of, until a debt is settled to acquire their freedom.