15. The Cruel Irony

Spectators tore through the entrance; left, right and center.

The arena was filled to its maximum capacity and guards- a brigade of them including the Prince's men stationed in all exits and entrances of the premises.

My blood was racing.

Golden flyers scattered the floor.

My heart felt cold and my facial expression was set like stone.

Arena workers and warriors like me stood on our own personal balconies. Spectating the first performance.

I barely ever spent time here- I was always preparing, doing, moving, working.

Now I'm here. Left with no performance.

Glaring daggers at the sprawled prince.

It was as if he felt it.

His head casually turned to our direction- Rather my direction..

Everyone tensed and gave a slight bow.

Red eyes bored into mine.

He has his father's eyes...

I bit my tongue- my body froze.

Darkness swarmed in my mind. The little girl whimpered, clawed and screamed.

I suffocate her. Until she is subdued.

It's just my imagination, out of all the hundreds of people here, he was definitely not only looking at me..

Fala and Dritan sit side by side in padded chairs next to the balcony the prince is on.

I feel Ezra behind me before he speaks.

"Everything happens for a reason."

"Not unless I take charge of what's needed," I mutter, staring at the shadowed pathway Dritan's men should step through at any moment.

"They're goddess blessed. They might stand a chance." The golden paint on Ezra's body twinkled from all the lantern lights and fire pitchers on the walls. The gold on his face made the blue in his eyes look paler.

Rhey swirled around his neck. Catching some golden paint onto his shiny blue-black scales.

"I'm the only one who has ever killed a Cliftolight. It was not an easy task either." my heart thumped harder.

"For everyone's sake Morana. Let's hope they can kill them. We as warriors can't interfere with the fight. Its arena-"

I cut him off abruptly, fuming.

"Arena code. Yes. Only unless they ask for help."

I want them to beg.

I frowned at my sudden thoughts.

I clench my fists and breathe slowly.

"Mortals. They die. They're fated to. All eventually have to die." A velvet soothing voice caressed my mind. Its shadows swarming near my heart. My rib cage a gate they want to pass.

"No," I whispered.

Ezra looked down at me questioningly.

I shrugged.

Drums thundered in a loud beat, silencing spectators.

Dritan, in all his power. Stood from his seat and acknowledged his people.

Gone was the emotionless look he always had on his face. Now a charming man smiled at his people as he made his announcement.

Fala played with the material on her chair, looking casual- flawless.