Chapter 78 - Around a meal

Yoko's gaze met that of "Amuro Tooru". The young girl hid a little before looking at Jinpei, who was scratching the back of her head.
   -I think I'll have to make you something to eat. he announced.
   -... Don't burn the kitchen this time... please... asked the young girl.
   The man looked annoyed before turning his back on the child.
   -I've got it, I'm going to get something from the combini! Will you come with me, Zero?

   Turning towards his guest, the policeman noticed that the latter seemed to be thinking. He raised his eyebrows.
   -Oe, I'm talking to you!
   -Sorry, I just thought I'd cook. It'll save you leaving her alone again.
   The blond looked at the woman concerned with a smile. She hid herself a little more.
   -I'll help you. Jinpei offered.
   -You should avoid poisoning her. Amuro announced.

   The latter went into the kitchen while the policeman pouted before settling down on the sofa, where he had room. Yoko straightened up and leaned back against her tutor, coughing a little.
   -Oe! Don't stick to me too much, I don't want to be sick again! he warned.
   -Huh... Sorry about that.
   She tried to move away, but feeling her heavy body, she fell back against the man, who sighed. He couldn't blame her for being in this state. This made the blond man in the kitchen smile.

   It wasn't long before the meal was ready. Amuro brought plates to his friend and the little girl before serving himself. He took a chair and moved towards the sofa.
   Yoko looked at the food for a while, not knowing for a moment if she was hungry or not. Then she picked up her fork and took a bite. Her face lit up a little.
   -... It's good! ! she said.
   The cook smiled at these words and continued to eat.
   -If I learn, I could do better than him. Jinpei announced mockingly.
    -You won't have a kitchen before you know how to make a dish. Laughed the blond a little.
   -Shall we check it out now?

   The little girl tucked her head into her shoulders a little, not reassured by the idea that her guardian wanted to cook. The man noticed her reaction and pouted.
   -I understand, I'll see when you're better! That way you can teach me.
   -If you like... replied the brunette, coughing a little.
   -Don't tire yourself out too much for him, it's not worth it. Prevented Amuro.
   -Don't put ideas like that into her head! he grumbled.
   The young girl began to smile a little as she continued to eat. The atmosphere was not unpleasant, and it was fun.

   Calm returned before the guest spoke again with a serious air.
   -Otherwise, can you find her parents?
   Yoko gasped slightly and then looked a little sombre. Jinpei had apparently told his friend that she was here because she no longer had any parents. Or apparently, according to the words, that her parents were nowhere to be found. It was true that this was her initial situation, and since she had falsified her identity, no one would ever have been able to find her parents. But after all, it was true that, for the blond-haired man, the most likely excuse was the search for parents.

   The man placed his empty plate on the coffee table and glanced at his flatmate.
   -It just takes time. Why ? he replied boredly.
   -I'm just thinking that it can't be easy for her to stay here.
   -I'll look after her, don't worry. asserted the policeman.
   -That's exactly what worries me. Amuro scoffed again.
   -I'd like to see you play baby-sitter eh!
   The concerned man laughed a little.
   -I haven't got time for that. And it's about time I got going.

   He got up and looked at the two people on the sofa.
   -See you next time.
   -Yeah.
   The guest turned his back on the duo and looked more serious. Now that he'd confirmed what he needed, all he had to do was find the right moment.

   Once Amuro had gone, Yoko sighed. She put her plate down, coughed a little and rubbed her eyes. Jinpei looked annoyed, although he could understand her reaction.
   -Go to bed, being sick doesn't help your mood.
   -Yes...
   She got up and headed for her room, staggering a little, before taking refuge there. As for the man, he simply went to the window to have a smoke.

   The brunette almost fell into bed before hiding under the blanket. She let out a sigh. It was true that being ill didn't help one's morale, even less so with the subject that had come up just a few minutes before.
   It didn't take her long to fall asleep.

   The young girl woke up with a start and gasped a little. She looked around a little disorientated and very confused.
   She had just woken up from a nightmare. A nightmare in which Gin had come here, having found her thanks to Vermouth. He had even taken care of Jinpei. The nightmare had almost certainly been triggered by the fever, which didn't help us understand whether it was real or not.

   Although Yoko regained her bearings, her confusion did not go away. The stillness of the night was heavy and not reassuring.

   What if something had really happened? What if there really was someone from the organisation in the house?

   Fear gripped the little girl and she staggered to her feet, coughing. She moved towards the door and hesitated to open it out of fear. After such a good evening, despite the less happy ending, she didn't want anything to happen to her, let alone Jinpei.
   She opened the door, finding herself alone in the darkness. She swallowed and walked along the wall, helping herself to stay on her feet. Then she opened the door to the policeman's room, with the same fear and hesitation as before.

   There were no strangers in the room. Only Jinpei was asleep. His breathing could be heard all the way into the room.
   Yoko smiled, reassured by this. It was indeed a nightmare she'd had. A frightening nightmare, but not a real one. And then, she was safe here, with Jinpei.

   But she shouldn't let herself go.

  Nor should she risk putting the policeman in danger...