Chapter 60 - Whoops

Yoko was feeling better and had managed to eat more and get some rest, even though she was only taking small amounts of the new food.
   School had started again and her absence had worried her friends, to whom she had simply told that she was ill and would return as soon as she could. She had intended to explain her situation to Conan and Ai, but in the end preferred to do it face to face.

   Once she had recovered, she returned home accompanied by her tutor. After nearly three weeks, it felt strange to be back and it seemed like a long time.
   Jinpei switched on the lights before turning to his roommate.
   -Go and get some rest. And don't worry about cooking, I'll take care of it. he announced.
   The concerned stopped herself from laughing a little as she thought back to the time her guardian had tried to cook for her.
   -You're not going to cook yourself, are you? she assured herself.
   -Of course not... replied the man with a pout. If you don't mind, I'll just have a shower first.

    With that, he went to his room to collect his things, while the former schoolgirl went to hers. She couldn't suppress a smile when she saw the room she was sleeping in. It was reassuring to be home again.
   She went in and sat down on her bed before bringing her hand to her scar. The doctor had told her to take it easy to avoid any pain. And she intended to be careful.
   She took off her glasses, staring at them before looking determined.

   Jinpei left the bathroom and went straight into the kitchen to heat up what little he knew how to cook, which was instant noodles. When that was done, he opened the door to Yoko's room.
   -It's ready...
  He was surprised to see the young girl already asleep. It didn't seem to have taken that long. But if she needed to rest, she might as well. He would eat his noodles alone.

   The next day arrived quickly. Yoko had woken up at around midday. She came out of her room, scratching her head.
   -Good morning Matsuda-keiji... she greeted.
   The man in question, smoking at the window, turned his head towards the little girl before smiling mockingly, happy to know that his protégée had slept better than in hospital.
   -We can see you slept well. he said.
   -Eh?
   -Your hair's a mess and you've got marks on your face.
   She blinked several times before understanding and pouting at her tutor's tone. Then, without saying anything more, she headed for the bathroom.

   The former schoolgirl began to comb and tie her hair before splashing some water on her face. She lifted her head and stared at herself in the mirror.
   -Maybe my hair's too long... Maybe I can...
   She grabbed one of her locks to look at it before looking determined. She went straight to the drawers to find a pair of scissors. From there, she cut half her hair.

   Yoko took a moment to realise what she had just done. She had long hair, but now it was half-long and badly cut. She couldn't help but let out a nervous laugh.
   -What have I done?
   She put down her scissors and slowly and timidly opened the door.
   -Er... Matsuda-keiji... ? Do you know a good hairdresser... ?
   The man in question moved closer, raising his eyebrows. The young girl opened the door completely, showing off the massacre she'd just made.
   -What the hell have you done?

   The former schoolgirl was sitting in a chair, her tutor having decided to cut her hair himself.
   -So, why did you do it? he asked, trying to catch up with what she'd done.
   -I thought it was too long...
   -Is that all? You could have said something before...
   -I did it on a whim... But I...
   She paused for a moment.
   -I needed it... Not just because it could help me hide a bit, since the glasses were useless... I don't know how to explain it, but I just need it...

   The policeman raised his eyebrows before simply shrugging his shoulders. He could see where she was coming from, and even understood what she was having trouble explaining.
   -You don't need to justify yourself...
   -You're the one who wanted to know, I'm just explaining!
   -Stop moving! Jinpei said impatiently.
   -I'm sorry, but...
   -But next time, think before you move... sighed the man.
   -I did it on the spur of the moment I said...

   Jinpei continued to cut Yoko's hair, looking increasingly unsure of what he was doing. Fortunately, the little girl couldn't see that.
   -By the way, I'm not going to wear my glasses any more either, as they're useless... You don't mind, do you? she announced.
   -You're old enough to decide what you want to do, aren't you?
   -But I'd rather ask you... Since you bought them...
   -It was you who wanted them and told me you needed them. The most complicated thing will be to find an excuse as to why you don't wear them any more.
   A sigh was heard.
   -For Genta-kun, Ayumi-chan and Mitsuhiko-kun I should be able to find an easy excuse... As for Conan-kun and Haibara-san, I'll have to explain everything to them... Anyway, I'll have to if I'm going to get any information out of them...
   The policeman simply shrugged his shoulders, which made the young girl sigh.

   After half an hour cutting hair, Jinpei put down the scissors and brush.
   -That's it. I'll let you go and have a look.
   -OK, thanks!
   Yoko got up and immediately went into the bathroom. Once at the mirror, she looked at her new hairstyle and discovered just a medium cut, reaching to her shoulders. It was still better than what she'd done. Although it was doubtful.

   -What's up? asked the policeman, leaning against the doorframe.
   -It's fine... I suppose?
   -Say it if you don't like it!
   The man looked bored. He knew he had as much talent as the kitchen, or maybe he was better at hairdressing than cooking, but he had tried his best to make up for what his flatmate had done.
   -It's fine with me, it's not nearly as bad as what I did... Thanks, mate.
   -If you like, I'll take you to get your hair done tomorrow.

   She sighed with a smile. It wasn't perfect, but he'd done his best.
   -Don't worry about me. In the meantime, I'm fine, I swear. Promise the girl.
   -In that case, go and eat something.
   -I will!
   With that, the young girl headed into the kitchen, touching her hair. It was going to take her a while to get used to it.