Chapter 55 - What happened

Jinpei was guided into the dark room where Yoko was resting. He entered slowly and came to stand against the door, watching the little girl he's protecting through the faint glow of the one that came through the window.
   Although she was unconscious and on a drip, she was fine. But, from now on, she was in danger. The blonde-haired woman could find her and kill her for good.
   When the girl woke up, her tutor would have to have a conversation with her to find out what had happened during the time they were separated. But for the moment it was better to keep an eye on her room, to see if anyone strange was trying to get in.

   Yoko opened her eyes with difficulty, dazzled by the daylight for a few seconds. Then she sat up again, wincing in pain, which made her stop dead in her tracks.
   -What the...
   She brought her hand to her wound in total incomprehension before looking around her. She was in a hospital. There was no doubt about it, especially with the drip in her arm.
   -Why am I here...?
   The young girl looked at the bedside table beside the bed where her glasses were, then at her arm before looking at her hand, which was towards her wound, trying to remember her situation.

   She had to take a few minutes. A few minutes to gather all the facts before she started rubbing her arms to reassure herself.
   -I'm... I'm still alive... But... how... Why? she asked herself in a low voice.
   The former schoolgirl lowered her head, her gaze dark, and curled into herself even though she was in pain. She couldn't understand why she was alive, why every time she had to die she avoided it.

   Suddenly, the door opened to reveal Jinpei, a cup of coffee in his hand. He was stared at by the injured girl, who was reassured to see him. As for the man, he just closed the door and sat down on the bed, drinking.
   -Matsuda... keiji...
   -You're awake, I see.
   All he got in reply was a simple nod.
   -What happened...? she asked.
   -That's more like what I should be asking you. Can you tell me why you left without warning?
   The policeman looked a little annoyed, which didn't reassure Yoko.
   -I...

   There was a moment of silence, time for the young girl to calm her stress. She took a deep breath and tucked a lock of hair back behind her ear, not looking at her tutor.
   She didn't want to explain, but she had no other choice. She knew that with him, avoiding or putting off saying anything was impossible.
   -T... There was... There was this woman... who... who took Akihiko's appearance... I... I hoped that... I hoped it was really him.... I followed him without thinking and... she began to explain.
   She wiped away the tears that were beginning to fall, breathing deeply to be able to articulate, even though the images that came back to her mind frightened her.
   -She took me to an alley... and... and all I remember is her shooting me... she finished.

   The policeman waited for the child to calm down so he could talk to her. It would be easier to talk to her, easier for her to listen.
   And once that was done, the man didn't hesitate to speak up.
   -Did this person give you any useful information? he asked.
   -... Eh?
   -Would you have remembered what she said?

   Yoko was a little surprised and took a moment to think. She turned her gaze around a little, at times trying to remember what the woman had said, and at other times looking for an excuse. She finally shook her head, keeping her gaze fixed on nothing.
   Faced with this answer, which was a lie, at least in part, Jinpei was going to say something. But he was stopped by his phone vibrating. He pulled it out and looked to see what it was. A simple message from Sato asking where he was. The policeman couldn't help but pout as he quickly replied and put his phone away in his pocket.

   -It doesn't suit me but I've got things to sort out... We'll resume our conversation when I get back. He announced, rising to his feet.
   The girl concerned raised her head, widening her eyes, looking frightened.
   -Matsuda-keiji! Please don't leave me! the young girl shouted, grabbing her tutor's sleeve.
   The man simply put his hand to his head. Her behaviour was understandable after what had happened to her. And leaving her alone wasn't the best idea either, if the woman came back.
   -I can't stay with you all the time, you know. It doesn't suit me either... he sighed. If you want, I'll call Conan, so you're not alone, even if he might stick his nose in your problems.

   There was a moment of silence, reflecting. It was an interesting proposition, but Yoko didn't want to worry anyone else. And just like Jinpei, Conan was going to ask her lots of questions. She didn't want to have to answer him. At least not now.
   -... Sorry to disturb you... And to keep you... I just... Please don't... Please don't tell anyone... I don't want to disturb anyone... She finally apologised.
   -Who are you bothering? And I don't think Conan will be bothered to come, especially if I briefly explain the situation to him. sighed the policeman again.
   -But... Lately he's been looking after Haibara-san because she's been ill... So... He's busy... explained the former schoolgirl.
   -Ah.

   There was another moment of silence as Yoko stared into space again, her face darkening.
   -I'm going to stay on my own... No need to tell anyone...
   She simply went back to bed, turning her back to the bedroom door and hiding under her blanket. Jinpei stared at her for a moment, looking a little worried.
   -I'll be back as soon as I can.
   He left the room, leaving his protégée alone. The latter hid even more under her blanket when she heard the door close.

   She was alone now. She wondered for how long. She didn't want to be without anyone.
   The emptiness of the room meant that the noises in the corridors were amplified. She knew this was normal, but the slightest sound of footsteps was stressful.
   She was afraid. She was afraid that the woman would come back. And apart from hiding under her blanket, there was nothing else she could do.

   Not knowing how to deal with her feelings, Yoko began to cry.