Chapter 71 - Base-ball

-Ah, Yoko-chan! called Conan.
   The bespectacled boy tried to apologise to his friend, but she avoided him without saying a word. And this had been going on for several weeks already.
   Once again, she took off at a brisk pace, leaving her comrade behind. She didn't want to face him. Not at the moment.

   -Say, Conan-kun... What happened with Yoko-chan?
   He was startled and turned round. It was Ayumi who had just spoken to him. He hadn't expected that. The girl in the headband was accompanied by Genta, Mitsuhiko and Ai.
   -W-What do you mean? The boy with the glasses asked casually.
   -We noticed that she was avoiding you... Did you do something to her? Questioned the freckled boy, a little more sternly.

   The young detective was a little embarrassed, scratching the back of his head.
   -We just had a disagreement, but it'll be sorted out, don't worry.
   The group seemed unconvinced by this statement. They looked at each other, while Conan sighed and turned to Ai, who said nothing.
   How could it have gone so wrong?

   Yoko threw her bag into her room as soon as she arrived and got into bed, staring at the ceiling. It was nice to have some peace and quiet at last.
   She was very angry with Conan. The more she thought about it, the stronger it became. Maybe the two of them weren't meant to get along...
   But that wasn't what she wanted. She wanted to get on with the boy. She wanted to. She wanted to, but... Perhaps he'd made too many unforgivable mistakes...

   The girl's phone rang. She reached for it, hoping it wasn't that idiot detective. And happily, it wasn't.
   It was a message from Mitsuhiko asking if she wanted to play baseball this weekend, as she had planned to do a few weeks ago.
   -... I don't feel like it...
   She put down her phone without answering for a moment and stared at the ceiling again. Perhaps she could make an effort just to look after the children. Because of all this, she hadn't spent any time with them. Since the holidays, in fact.

   With a sigh she reached for her phone again, replying with a simple "Conan-kun will be there? It wasn't long before she heard back. A simple "No".
   She sighed again, putting her phone down. She hoped her friend was telling the truth. In the worst case, she would make an effort and be able to leave as soon as she felt like it...

   -Yoko-chan! Over here! Ayumi called, waving her hand.
   The girl concerned took a quick step towards the group, smiling at them, even though she was a little nervous.
   -Hi there...
   -You've finally decided to come back! Genta grumbled.
   -Sorry, sorry...

   She passed her hand behind her neck, shifting her gaze a little to the side. Her gaze met Conan's, who was a little way off.
   -Eh... ?
   The boy turned his attention elsewhere, looking embarrassed, while his classmate stared at her friends.
   -You told me he wouldn't be here! she shouted in surprise.
   -If we'd told you he was here, you wouldn't have come! justified the freckled boy.
   -By playing you'll be able to make up! affirmed the majority of the group.
   -Come on, it'll be fun! Enriched the girl with the headband.

   The girl concerned was reluctant, showing it clearly on her face. Despite this, she allowed herself to be dragged into the game.
   The game began, with the group forming two teams. One made up of Mitsuhiko and Yoko, and the other of Ayumi, Genta and Conan. Ai wasn't there, apparently preferring to skip her turn.

   -I haven't played for a long time, so I can't promise I'll be any good... Yoko apologised.
   -That's all right. Genta scoffed a little.
   Genta was the pitcher and his friend the batter. She missed the first ball, hit the second badly and finally missed the last.
   -It looks like I've lost what little base I had... she sighed.
   -But you're completely bad! laughed the biggest of the group.
   -Shut up... sighed the young girl.

   The next batter was Mitsuhiko and it wasn't much better. Then, in order to balance the teams better, Yoko returned to the role of drummer where she did a little better, even if it wasn't really well played either.
   Then the teams changed roles and it was the freckled boy's turn to be the pitcher. Genta was more gifted than his two friends. He hit the ball and the brunette jumped on it to catch it and throw it back to her team-mates. Now she was wearing her earthy, dusty clothes.
   Ayumi's turn was less glorious, but she seemed to be enjoying herself and that was the most important thing.
   And finally, Conan, who was a pretty good player, although not as good as he was at football.

   Then the teams changed places again and again.
   The former schoolgirl was the pitcher. She looked better in this role - unless it was the children who were less gifted. Against Genta and Ayumi, everything went well. Less so with Conan.
   The young girl stared at the boy, her anger getting the better of her. She squeezed the ball in her hand.

   Her behaviour was ridiculous.

  She knew it.

   She couldn't reconcile with him at the moment.

   She threw the ball as hard as she could. The boy in glasses prepared to hit it, but before he had time he caught it in the face. He dropped the bat and stepped back, putting his hands over his face. He wasn't expecting to get hit. Neither was his mate, who was the first to be surprised.
   She wanted to come closer, apologise and ask him if he was all right, but the trio intervened first. She preferred to stay back. Besides, he seemed to be doing well from his reaction to the others.

   -We should take a break... Ayumi suggested.
   The other two nodded.
   -Mum gave me some money so we could buy something to eat! suggested Genta.
   -Good idea! Mitsuhiko agreed.
   The girl in the trio turned back to the rejuvenates high school students.
   -Stay there, we'll be back!
   With that, they all left. Yoko watched them go before sitting down on the floor.

   As for the detective, he picked up the ball and the bat before approaching his comrade. He placed the equipment next to her before settling down. He remained silent for a few moments, a heavy silence, before finally speaking.
   -I'm... sorry...