Chapter 73 - Questioning

Yoko arrived in her room and slammed the door before leaning back and sighing. She wiped her tears on her sleeves and lowered her head.
   She didn't know if she'd done the right thing telling the boy with the glasses how she felt, but at least she felt better.
   After all, he was just an idiot. Conan was just an idiot who didn't understand anything and only did what suited him. And yet...

   And yet, part of her felt guilty. She didn't want it to come to this. She had the impression that it was her fault. Maybe if she'd spoken up before... If she'd insisted a little earlier... Or if she hadn't said anything...
   She let herself slide against the door, sitting down. Then she drew her knees closer to her body and sighed again, more deeply. She didn't know how she was going to face him... As much to him as to Genta, Ayumi, Mitsuhiko and Ai. She never wanted this to happen...

   Perhaps she could talk to Jinpei about it? She didn't usually like to bother him with her problems. Anyway, if she didn't say anything herself, he would force her to talk. It always worked that way.
   But he could undoubtedly help her with what she needed to do...

   Jinpei yawned, leaning against the window of Sato's car. He looked bored outside, bored himself. He was on patrol, and the day was... really quiet. It was surprising, even.
   -Can you give me a lift home? he asked.
   -Eh ? Can't you go yourself ? the policewoman immediately grumbled. As if you didn't have your car to pick up.
   The man stretched a little before answering.
   -I'll pick it up tomorrow. It's not as if it's going to be stolen overnight.

   The woman sighed. Sometimes her colleague disappointed her. But despite that, she liked him. Very much so.
   -But how are you going to get here tomorrow? she asked.
   -On foot.
   She looked bored. It was obvious, but on the other hand completely stupid. It wasn't as if he was next door to the police department.

   Just as she was about to reply, her gaze was caught by a familiar silhouette. It was Conan, walking his hands in pockets. Sato pulled over to the side of the road and opened her window.
   -Hello Conan-kun! she greeted.
   He turned his head, somewhat surprised. It had brought him out of his thoughts. He blinked a little, looking at the woman.
   -Sato-keiji, what are you doing here... ?
   -I was just on patrol with Matsuda-kun.

   The young boy reacted immediately to the policeman's name and leaned over to see him, arms folded against his chair.
   -Ah! Matsuda-keiji, could I have a word? he asked.
   The policeman straightened up, raised his eyebrows and looked through his glasses at the child.
   -... It's about Yoko... Conan added nervously.
   -... Huh ?

   Jinpei raised his eyebrows, looking at the uncomfortable child, before sighing and getting out of the car. He walked round to the pavement.
   -Sato-keiji... Could you please leave? asked the young detective.
   -Eh...?
   The woman was surprised, and then pouted.
   -All right, then. She agreed. So I'll see you later Matsuda-kun...
   -Yeah.
   The woman closed the car window before driving off, leaving the boys alone.

   The policeman leaned against the barrier separating the pavement from the road, lighting himself a cigarette.
   -So, what's going on?
   Conan thought long and hard about where to start.
   -Um... I'd actually like you to talk to Yoko... he began to explain.
   -About what?
   -We had a misunderstanding and we had a argument... well... I mean, I... I apologised but she didn't take it well...

   The man raised his eyebrows.
   -It's not usual for Yoko to argue with someone, from what I know of her...
   He paused for a moment before smiling and looking at the child.
   - You provoked this argument, didn't you? He asked.
   -Eh? N-No! I said I was sorry... sighed Conan. She said she didn't want to be my friend any more... I didn't mean for that to happen... I may have...
   The child sighed again as he thought about his friend's words. He even forgot to continue his sentence.

   -Maybe you should have thought before you acted.
   Jinpei's voice snapped Conan out of his thoughts. The latter looked at the policeman.
   -From what I know, you didn't tell Yoko that the FBI agent was coming. And you wouldn't listen her. So if you argued, it's because you pushed her too far. He continued.
   He began to smile before continuing.
   -If you want me to talk to him to get him to accept your apology, you're on your own. That's not my problem. I'm not going to have fun changing her choices.

   Part of him was pleased that this had happened. Yoko was gradually gaining confidence and no longer letting herself be pushed around. That was a good thing, especially compared to when he'd met her. Compare that to when she'd been in hospital.
   As for the former schoolboy, he seemed more disturbed. He wanted to count on the policeman's help to solve the problem, even though he had influence over the girl. But he had apparently made a mistake. And that made him angry with himself...

   Taking a deep breath, the boy in glasses calmed down a little. Then he turned his gaze to his interlocutor, looking serious, if a little uncomfortable.
   -Could you at least tell her that I sincerely apologise? It'll be easier if you tell her because I really don't think she'll listen to me...
   -What part of 'you're on your own' don't you understand? Sighed the policeman more annoyed. If you're really sorry, it's just up to you to show it. If you do something stupid, it's up to you to fix it.
   With these words, he let his cigarette fall to the ground before stubbing it out and putting his hands in his pockets. Conan just sighed and started to walk away, in silence.

   He was really going to have to make up for his stupidity as best he could...