Chapter 74 - Decision

Jinpei put his things down on the sofa and yawned. He'd come home at last. As he had planned, he had walked home.
   No sooner had he settled down on the sofa than he heard the sound of a door coming from his protégée's room.
   -H... Hi Matsuda-keiji... She said.
   -Yo... He greeted simply.

   The young girl began to move towards the sofa before stopping, hesitant. Then she took a deep breath.
   -I...
   She hesitated again. She wanted to tell Jinpei about her problem but she kept hesitating. She was always afraid of disturbing him.
   -I'm going to hurry up and make something to eat!

  The brunette headed for the kitchen when her tutor's voice stopped her.
   -Raah! I'm fed up, you know! It's kind of up to you to come and talk to me about your problems, you know! It's not up to me to force you into anything! Come and talk to me about what's going on with you and the other four-eyes instead of making me dinner! It can wait! He grumbled.
    She turned and looked at the policeman who was doing the same, a grumpy expression on his face.
   He was right. She really did have to make an effort, and she'd known it for a while.

   But she was surprised how he could know there was anything going on with Conan.
   -I saw the kid, if you must know. He wanted to talk to me. He explained.
   -Right, sorry!
   -How many times do I have to tell you to stop apologising...

   Yoko explained her version of everything that had happened that afternoon. It wasn't all that different from Conan's explanation, apart from a few details.
   -So now you feel guilty, is that it? asked the policeman.
   She nodded in reply.
   -Do you know what you want to do?
   A silence this time, time to think.

   -I don't know what I want to do. I'm... I'm angry with Conan-kun, I don't want to stay with him, but I don't want to leave everyone behind, so...
   She sighed.
  -I don't know what I should do, I don't think I can forgive him just yet, so...
   -Take your time to think about it. I'm not going to decide for you, you'll have to make your own choices. Announced the man.

   The little girl lowered her head, a little disappointed not to be helped more than that. But just talking had done her good.
   -Well... I'll go and make something to eat... Thank you, Matsuda-keiji...
   -... Yeah...
   Yoko smiled at him before getting up and walking off into the kitchen.

   Night came quickly. Yoko was on her bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking about what she should do. She didn't want to come to regret her choice, and that frightened her.
   She finally sat up and looked at the time on her phone. It was already nearly one o'clock in the morning. She sighed, knowing that it would be difficult to wake up the next morning. Then she got up and went to her window, which she opened despite the cold outside.

   What she had to do. She didn't want to abandon Genta, Ayumi, Mitsuhiko and Ai, even though she wasn't the closest to the latter, but she didn't want to stay with Conan. And pretending would soon be understood by everyone. There had to be a solution somewhere, but she couldn't find it...
   The problem, if she wanted to stay with the Detective Boys and avoid the former schoolboy, was that the kids hung out with Conan all the time. It was difficult to see them without him, not least because they were a group, and she was part of it.

   They were a group... Come to think of it, maybe that was the solution...

   The next day, the brown-eyed girl ran to school so as not to be late. She hadn't noticed the time and had woken up later than usual, tired from her night.
   She slid the classroom door open slowly and was reassured to see that Kobayashi had not yet arrived. She went inside and closed the door, before looking around for Conan. He was sitting at his table, looking bored. The little girl approached him, unsure of herself, before placing some objects on the table without saying a word. His classmate was about to say something, but his gaze drifted back to the famous objects.

   After a moment's silence, he realised, surprised.
   -But it's the detective's badge and the watch...
   -Y... Yeah, well... Right now I don't feel ready to forgive you... I'm... I'm retiring from the Detective Boys... So I'm giving this back to you...
   -Eeeh?! Came a high-pitched voice from behind Yoko.
   Turning around, the former schoolgirl was somewhat surprised to see her other classmates there. They had heard even though she had spoken softly.

   -Why are you leaving us? Asked Genta.
   -Has Conan-kun done something wrong? Asked Mitsuhiko.
   -You're not friends any more? Ayumi said in turn.
   -Ah well... We just had a problem that's making things complicated between us for the moment... Explained the boy with glasses.
   -For the moment we're no longer friends... But... It's not just because of that that I don't want to be a Detective Boy any more... I'm not cut out to be a detective, I'd only get in the way of your investigations... So...

   There was a moment's silence as the children looked at each other without really understanding, but looking sad. It was Ai who spoke up with a sigh.
   -Tomura-san can't stand seeing dead bodies, remember?
   The trio nodded.
   -So I don't think she enjoys investigating like the rest of you, which is understandable. But I don't think that changes anything in your friendship. Just because she's no longer friends with Edogawa-kun doesn't mean she's no longer friends with you. Explained the redhead.
   Then she turned to the woman concerned.
    -Am I mistaken?

   Yoko nodded. Ai was right.
   -Don't worry, I'm still friends with you. She said with a smile.
   Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko looked at each other again before smiling.
   -Okay, we understand. Replied the freckled boy.
   -But since you said 'for the moment' that means it can change! Exclaimed the girl in the headband.
   -In that case, we'll do everything we can to reconcile you! Announced the last of the trio.
   The former member of the organisation sighed, crossing her arms, while her brown-eyed comrade laughed nervously.
   -Let them take care of their own reconciliation. That's the best solution... Advised Ai.

   Just as they were about to say something, the sound of the door drew their attention. The whole class returned to their seats, leaving Yoko to sigh at last. As for Conan, he looked at the detective's badge and the watch before putting them back in his bag with a sigh.