CHAPTER 50: Friendly Fights and Flirtatious Advice

Ahaan

I can't let her go after what I've heard from Ira about her family. They are evil orthodox racists who are mean towards their children. If they find out that she got divorced, they will make her life a living hell, and however much I'd try to shield her from their wrath physically, I'm not so sure about the emotional and mental torture. And I'm not sure if my wife would like me dealing with her father my way, and even if I do and cover my tracks, what will I do with her mother?

"Come on, let's get you puranpoli" Her voice pulls me out of my thoughts. She stands up and walks inside before I can stop her.

"Won't she or her parents mind us coming here like this?" I run behind her.

"No. She comes to my place all the time. Why do you think my kitchen is empty anyway? And her parents don't live here. They took an early retirement and shifted to Manali a year back. Now only Vaani lives here." That explains the girly tone of this house. We walk into the kitchen and Ira walks to the microwave.

"Yeah and now I'll make it," I say, taking the box of puranpoli from her. I put it on a plate and prop it in the microwave to warm it up.  

 She tries to hop onto the counter but fails miserably. So, I hold her by her waist and hold her up—big mistake. Our eyes meet and I swear I hear her breath hitch. My hands linger on her waist as I look right into her eyes and for the first time I see the walls, that she's built around herself, break. And she is beautiful. From this angle, her lips look poutier and the sunlight from the kitchen window makes her eyes shine more. There's a myth that says brown eyes used to shine like the moon and to hide their charm, they were coloured by the river of heaven's honey. Yeah, that isn't a myth and I know that now. 

We stand so close to each other that if we move even a centimetre closer, we'd be kissing. And boy, does that seem nice! 

I feel her head tilt a little to the right as mine does, and for a moment, it's as if time slows down and everything else fades away. Her eyes move to my lips and I take this moment to do the same with her. She tucks the corner of her lips between her teeth and leaves them with a pop sound and fuck me. But just as our lips are about to touch, the shrill ringing of her phone breaks the spell, jolting us back to reality. With a sigh, she reaches for her phone, breaking our intimate moment, and I take a step back, trying to regain my composure. 

Damn it. 

I have a thumping heart, a flushed neck and a raging boner. She plops down the counter and steps outside the kitchen to take it, while I t

"Um, that was Vaani. I had texted and said she won't be home until the evening. She went out with Aarav after work." She breathes, coming in again.

"Oh...alright." I avoid looking at her pull the plate from the microwave and move towards the refrigerator. "Do you want some soft drink, juice or beer?" 

"No. Just water is fine." I take out some water for both of us and take it to the dining table outside, along with the plate. 

We eat in peace and thankfully my jeans don't feel tight anymore but God this puranpoli is delicious. It's better than the lunch we had. "This is delicious," I say as I take another mouthful of the delicious meal.

"I know right? Maushi makes the best puranpoli in the entire world." She passes me her billion-dollar smile that makes my heart melt.

As we finish our meal, I gather the plates and head back to the kitchen. Ira follows suit, and we clean up together, chatting about random things like favourite childhood memories and funny incidents from school. It's a light-hearted conversation, and I can see a genuine smile on her face, which warms my heart.