CHAPTER 45: Just One Chance

Ira

I don't think I've ever been this mad.

Okay, that's an exaggeration. I've seen scenarios worse than this. And I've been mad at people, people who I loved.

I stomp to our room and take a seat on the balcony floor. The rain had slowed down from before, though some of it sprayed over me. Five minutes in the cool air and I was already calmed. I wasn't okay with Ahaan's suspicion, but if we look at it, he didn't act on it. He just got awkward and jealous when Ansh was near. Regardless, he shouldn't have been. It's not like we are in love.

I turn to a faint knock on the door and embrace myself to rage out at my dear husband. Much to my disappointment, Vaani pops just her head in and then walks in completely. "You made quite an exit there." She says as she reaches the glass door to the balcony. I pat the place next to me on the floor and she sits beside me.

"I did, didn't I."                         

"Ehn... everyone's on your side. Infact your mother-in-law even warned Ahaan, that if he doesn't make it up to you and you throw him out of your room, he'd be sleeping on the couch downstairs." She chuckled.

"Wait. She heard me? I thought they went for a walk."

"They happened to arrive right when you shouted and then stomped off." She chuckled again.

"Oh, shit." I lightly bang my head against the glass door behind us.

"Don't worry, no one's mad at you. Though they are mad at your dear husband." She smirked, looking back at the clouded sky from where a waning gibbous shined from behind a cloud. "Also, I might have scared him by saying that he should never talk to you when you are angry, because then you turn into Tweedledum from Alice in Wonderland." My eyes widened in horror and she pursed her lips as her shoulders shook from the laugh bubbling inside of her.

"Great." I looked back at the moon. "Now I feel bad. You know he didn't tell anyone about his promotion because he didn't wanna steal my thunder."

"Oooh. That's...thoughtful" She pouted her lips like she does when she has something on her mind.

"What's in that tiny brain of yours?" I turned in my place to face her.

"Nothing...just that this fake husband of yours is very considerate of your feelings."

"I know right? The other day, I had a panic attack, like the one I used to have years back, I couldn't get a grip of myself. My hands shook so much, I couldn't even take Xanax." She imitated my posture as a smirk wiped off her face giving way to concern. 

"Oh, my God. Babe? Are you alright?" She held my hands giving it a light squeeze.

"Yeah. I saw a rape case at the hospital and it triggered me. I don't even remember how I reached home." A shiver runs down my spine and goosebumps prickle all over my body despite the full-sleeved sweatshirt I wore. Vaani engulfed me in a tight hug and rubbed my back to soothe me. She did that back when we were kids and I used to have panic attacks. Nani and Vaani were the only two people who could help me out. And apparently Ahaan now. "Um..it's okay. I'm alright now." I say shrugging off my thoughts and pulling out of the hug. 

"How did you manage yourself then?" Her brows were still hunched, forming a crease on the glabella.

"I didn't. I didn't remember a thing since the hospital. When I regained my senses, I was in his lap and he was asking me to listen to his heartbeat and concentrate on that while taking deep breaths." I reply absentmindedly.

"So he made you sit on his lap? That's interesting." The smirk was back.

Damn it!

"Shutup. He was trying to calm me down. Stop smirking"